Drinks for my kids

so we have recently went from drinking a ton of soda to one diet soda a day for my kids and hubby and i havent had a soda in over 2weeks. any other time it Gatorade juice milk or water. so the deal is for the 4th of july my mil had a get together. i asked if i need to bring anything and she said hamburger buns and whatever we want to drink. so i brought some tea for me, a cherry diet coke for hubby (that's what he likes) and a 7.5 oz (the 100calorie cokes) for each of my girls. its the perfect size for them cause they r little. oh and a bottle of Gatorade for the girls. so when we sat down to eat my sil got all upset that i didnt bring the little sodas for all the kids. well her kids r 12 and 17 and the other 2 cousins dont drink soda at all per their mom. and that is all the kids. then she gets upset cause she wanted a diet cherry coke and there was only one. let me note that she did bring a few diet cokes for herself and her kids, but wanted hubby to give her his. i only took what i did so we wouldnt be tempted to drink more soda. and hubby was fine with that. i did offer her some of my tea, but she got upset cause it was unsweet. well that's how i like it. she was upset w me cause i always try to have something that she can eat or drink so she wont be left out (shes allergic to alot of stuff) but this was at her mom's house not mine. and i brought what i was told to bring. anyways she was upset all night then left as soon as fireworks were done. so was i wrong to bring so little drinks. should i have brought more knowing that they would be there even though i was told to bring just for my family?

teddybear2272

Asked by teddybear2272 at 2:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• No sounds like she needs to grow up.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 2:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Normally I would say bring enough for others to have some also, thats what I would normally do, but for a family function like this you bought what you were told to bring, so I am sure everyone was told to bring their own drinks, so it seems silly for her to get upset like that and to stay upset about something as minor as that is ridiculous really when you think about people that really have problems, she needs to get things into perspective.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 2:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Next time make it simple and bring water. Solves all problems. We only drink unsweetened tea, water or milk in this house. Soda is for parties only and my daughter doesn't like soda so I give her water. I don't give juice cause its just empty calories.
    Mom1127-0125

Answer by Mom1127-0125 at 9:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Can anyone say drama queen? Were you suppose to bring drinks for everyone, sounded like your mother inlaw specified what you guys wanted to drink. Maybe MIL should have told her to grow the hell up!
    2boysnaprincess

Answer by 2boysnaprincess at 10:18 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• weren't the stores still open, if she wanted the soda so bad she could have went and got her own. My son is lactose intolerant so when we go to other parties that have ice cream, I make sure I accommodate for him, not all the kids at the party, your kid your responsibility. Some people are just immature. Besides I know how much those mini cokes can run you, if her kids are as old as you say they would run through a entire case of eight on their own (cause those cans are really small). Ignore her no one else seemed to make a big deal.
    thelovelymzbre

Answer by thelovelymzbre at 10:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i only took the small cans cause i didnt want to have to take cups lids and straws for my girls cause i just know if i give them a drink with no lid it will get spilled. and those little cans r just the right size for them and if u only open them alittle u can slide a straw in there and when it gets knocked over not much spills out.
    anyways thanks she act like this all the time. hubby is use to it and it doesnt bother him, but even after almost 10 yrs i still cant stand the babyish way she acts. maybe now that her mom lives here in town she will put her foot down and tell her to grow up, she is almost 40yrs old
    teddybear2272

Comment by teddybear2272 (original poster) at 12:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2011