Can you take too much iron?

The OB told me to take my prenatals and iron pills both because I am down to like a level of 9. But I told her I take my prenatals sometimes when in truth its like hardly ever or never. So should I take both or just one or the other? I don't want to over do it. I have 24 days till due date.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You can OD on iron, so i'd be careful. My suggestion, take the prenatals, everyday like your supposed to and you should get back on track.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:26 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Yes you can. Take your prenatal. It is never good to lie to your OB. I would start with your prenatal and see if your levels rise enough
    Anonymous

• THANKS i felt stupid telling her the truth but now i wish i had. dummy me.
    Anonymous

• too much of any vitamin isn't good....but, you should do what your ob says, for your baby's health
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• She said to take Slow Fe which I think are 50 mg each. Twice a day. Which is a lot. My prenates have 29 mg. Grrr. Maybe I'll do one slow fe and the prenate. compromise.
    Anonymous

• oh yeah and drink lots of water, at least 2-3 liters to bring up your fluid levels to at least 10
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• yes you can od on iron. i have to take extra iron with my prenatals and i take mine everyday so it is possible that you need both. however id start by taking just your prenatals and see if your levels go up.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• You can OD on iron, but taking iron and a prenatal won't do it. I've taken the two for years, because I have iron deficiency anemia, and I've never had a problem. Just be sure to drink enough water. It can stop you up. Also, it can turn your stools dark, just an FYI.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 3:46 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Take your prental (that's super important!) and one of the Slow FE's, then maybe have your levels checked again. Your baby NEEDS iron, and lots of it!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:59 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Too much Iron is bad, but one iron pill AND your pre-natals Would NOT be too much! Just don't take a few iron pills. Iron it pretty low, so go ahead and take both, once a day and that way if you miss once, your still ok!
    Monnek

Answer by Monnek at 4:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2008