Unassisted childbirth. Thoughts?

Womamhood

Asked by Womamhood at 6:21 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Why not? Especially if it's not a first birth. My next will be my 4th, and I'll be honest, I've considered it. I'll probably get a midwife, but I don't see a problem with an unassisted birth, as long as SOMEONE is there in case there's an emergency.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 6:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I'd prefer to have a doctor do it, if at all possible. That's not something you want to take a chance on. Although, I did read a true story about a woman that went jogging in the woods with her dog and went into labor. She got the baby almost all of the way out but passed out and, when she woke up, she saw the baby with it's cord cut, cleaned off and curled up asleep next to the dog. The dog had also cleared the baby's nose and mouth and got her breathing.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 6:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Even hundreds of years ago, no one was expected to give birth completely alone. I do believe there is too much intervention with the natural process nowadays though. There should be a happy medium.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 8:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I agree with PP. Unassisted is dangerous. Women have been having babies for millennia without hospital interventions, but they weren't alone.
    Kitkat61277

Answer by Kitkat61277 at 11:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Completely alone? Just me? no
    No medical profession? Sure, due to complications from the pregnancies all three of mine were induced. (I get preemplampsia each time). But if that were not the case I would be squatting in the living room with my husband to catch. But I might feel different if he did not have EMT training.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 9:38 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I feel if you make that choice... and said child has a problem or dies you should be held accountable for manslaughter and neglect
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 1:12 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Hell No! Not for me any way. To each thier own, but I can't understand not wanting help with this? That's like trying to move a piano by yourself! I don't care how many pianos I've moved, I'm still going to want help moving them!
    Ms.Gwen

Answer by Ms.Gwen at 1:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Unassisted childbirth has kept societies flourishing for thousands to millions of years, depending on one's worldview, so why not now?
    bettyjeanmarino

Answer by bettyjeanmarino at 4:57 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Selfish haughty rediculous thing to do. This is a life. ..... not a person's ego as priority:/

I Would NEVER say this IRL bit would try to encourage someone in the safe direction. That was just the first answer that comes to my head.
    thelowlander

Answer by thelowlander at 1:50 AM on Jul. 13, 2011