Is formula really that bad????

Ive been breastfeeding for a month and I think I wanna switch to formula. I know breastmilk will be always the best but I feel guilty for switching over!

Augusta

Asked by Augusta at 6:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well, for one thing it smells and tastes like shit. I accidentally got a little on my finger when I was a teenager and was fixing a bottle for a baby I was watching and absently licked it off and it was horrible. I vowed then and there I would never give my kids formula. Breast milk is better for the baby but you have to feed them more often. I breast fed my three year old until she was eighteen months old. When I went back to work, I pumped and froze the milk and my mother bottle fed her, but she preferred to nurse. Breast feeding is better but, you have to do what is best for you. Don't force yourself if you are having a hard time.
    Razzle_Dazzle1

Answer by Razzle_Dazzle1 at 6:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My girls got formula due to heath issues at birth but my son was breastfed until he was 9 months old & he did get a few months of formula, but he was ready for soild at that time.
    Anyhow, my yougest is the healthiest as in less colds, ear infections, ect. Even today at age 11.
    Breastfed is best if you can stick it out for the first year. I had to go back to work when I stopped.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 6:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• A month is very soon to give up if you breastfed to give your baby the very best start. But formula isn't poison as such. Yet is does have well documented down sides. Google for these. But most of all YOU need to feel as capable and happy as possible as a mother. So, if formula has to happen for whatever reasons only you can know, then don't feel cruel wicked or bad. Formula is a highly processed diet but it is certainly not cruel wicked or bad. x
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 6:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• if you feel like you need to switch then do it and dont feel guilty about formula isnt horrible ..i formula fed my oldest and shes just fine...at least you tried bfing b4 formula! alot of ppl dont even try any more...and razzel dazzel is right when she says it smells it does and it dse taste bad but babies will eat wat you give them...and breastfeeding isnt always the best option for everyone.....good luck
    rachel216

Answer by rachel216 at 7:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• formula causes the formation of all kinds of unhealthy conditions which weaken the infant's immune system, and impair his ability to digest food and absorb vitamins and minerals. Bottle-fed infants have lower levels of desirable bifides bacteria, higher levels of pathogenic microorganisms (including yeast and putrefactive bacteria) and have a higher (alkaline) ph. All this causes their stools to have a more foul odor. The stools of breastfed babies rarely have any odor, or if they do, it is mild in comparison with that of bottle-fed babies.

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Of 145 normal full term infants studied during the first year after birth, those exclusively breastfed for the first four months differed significantly from those not exclusively breastfed in physical and behavioral development, and resistance to infection. At four months of age, the mean weight of the exclusively breastfed group was higher . At one year, the exclusively breastfed group showed more advanced. Personal-Social and gross Motor development on the Denver Developmental Screening Test, and lesser cumulative incidence of infectious diseases . This study demonstrated the beneficial effects of breastfeeding on development and resistance to infection in infants.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• my ds only bf maybe 4wks..at 6yo,he's always been healthy, no stomach illnesses or digestive problems, no third eye or growth of a tail. HE IS FINE.
    Op, do what you want and can do. Don't let any bf-ing nazis guilt you into continuing. There are studies shown that support ff-ing, too.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Formula isn't poison. It's a healthy alternative to breastfeeding and not all mothers can or are capable of breastfeeding. As long as you're feeding your child there's no need to feel guilty. And whatever happens, don't let others bully you into what they think is right. Do what you feel is right for you and your child, be that switching or continuing on.
    Good luck!
    Tommyskitty

Answer by Tommyskitty at 7:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My son had to be fed formula after the first month. He had a poor latch and I couldn't pump every two hours while keeping up with schoolwork and caring for him alone. He's fine and meeting all the milestones ahead of time. That being said, I was breastfed and i'm the sickest person I know. Wow that sounds wrong but you see my point. It's very individual. Yes breast is best but formula is an acceptable replacement.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 7:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• no it's not bad and neither bm nor formula is better than the other, they are completely equal when it comes to how well fed and healthy your child will be. bm does not create a stronger immune system
    momofone725

Answer by momofone725 at 8:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2011