Walking to school for the first time

my oldest son will be walking to school for the first time since he started and he may have to do it by himself a couple days a week depending on his brother's preschool schedule. We won't know what the schedule is for the preschooler till next month; I am just trying to look at all options if there is a possibility that I won't be able to walk him.

I would prefer to walk him every day but if the other schedule conflicts with his then I don't know what to do. I am sick to my stomach over what to do because I know either I will be transporting my other child(which is in the opposite direction of my oldests school) or if there will be bus service; the school hasn't gotten back to me yet.   The school is 6 blocks from our house. My question is should be invest in walkie talkies or a cell phone for him or see if the neighbors can walk with him if needed? He is 9 years old.

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 7:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• if it were my kid he or she will not be walken to school by themselfes to many perves out their this is how kids get kid napped am sorry am an over protective mom. but i will drive my kids to school or walk them so i know their safe. good luck hope everything works out ok
    BOOKER123ABC

Answer by BOOKER123ABC at 10:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think a walk buddy is a great idea. It's what we had back in the days before cell phones. A cell phone is a good idea as well but if someone grabbed him they'd probably not allow him to call for help on it. Surely other kids in the neighborhood get a ride. Maybe you could give a parent a few bucks for gas each week to take your child, too

Answer by admckenzie at 7:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I don't think you can take too many precautions, get a cell phone, and if possible, find a walk buddy! that way he is safer and you can rest a little easier!

anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 7:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• How safe is your neighbourhood? Can you drop off his little brother after the older one or is lateness frowned upon? I walked from 7 years old but it was only a block or two.
    kit_manson

Answer by kit_manson at 7:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Have you considered arranging a specific time for your other child to start pre-school so you can take your 9 year old to school? I did this when one of my children went to preschool and the other was in elementary and it worked out great for us. Good luck....
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 3:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• He won't be the only child walking to school. He will not be completely alone.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:18 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I'm not sure we just moved here the end of June so am not sure how safe it is according to the neighbors that have lived here there are crossing guards at all corners and there are alot of kids that walk together
    Christmaslver68

Comment by Christmaslver68 (original poster) at 8:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• A nine-year-old should be able to walk to school just fine.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 10:12 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Six blocks? I think a nine year old can walk six blocks to school.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 7:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2011