Non-Vax mums?

I have a very real concern about un-immunized children that I've never seen addressed. If a non-vax mum can explain this to me I'd actually really appreciate that. I really do mean this in the kindest way possible.

I have a very severe allergy to pertussis. Contact with it results in me having to get all sorts of tests and monitoring done just in case. If I actually caught it, I'd have convulsions and almost certainly die. I repeatedly stop breathing and have blackouts and seizures for three days. It's a miracle I survived the bout I had as an infant.

Non-vax kids are a very serious risk to me. Did you know there were cases like mine when you made the choice not to vaccinate? Do you care that doing so puts others at risk?

kit_manson

Asked by kit_manson at 7:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I don't vaccinate. I hadn't thought about people like you Kit. Sorry to say that I was primarily focused on my children's safety. The vaccine schedule is pretty intense. Can't seem to shake the feeling that there is big money behind it. When I was a kid we didn't have nearly as many on the schedule.

Thanks for your information. I plan on selectively vaccinating my children. The DTAP will most likely be one that we choose to use - mainly for the tetanus part of it. Both my husband and I have had our DTAP boosters to protect our children from Pertussis. There was a campaign informing people that parents are the ones who usually expose their children to it.
    linda_lou

Answer by linda_lou at 9:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You matter. There is no doubt about that. But I'm not under obligation to protect you over protecting my own children. I'd suggest you get yourself vaccinated?
    Womamhood

Answer by Womamhood at 8:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My son is up to date on his vaccinations, so I can't say for sure, but I imagine, when parents choose not to have their child vaccinated, they are doing what they think is best for their child.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I'm with Womamhood. But I agree that I am doing what's best for my children, just as you feel that vaccinating is what's best for you and your children. I'm very sorry about your allergy, but if it came down to your life or my child's, I'd choose my child. I'm sure you would choose the same with your children.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 8:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• With all of the ingredients in vaccines, we're STILL not entirely sure of the outcome on developing human beings. We're just now seeing side effects that were caused by vaxs in the 90's. Until I'm able to do all the research and agree that all vaccines are 100% safe, I will not be giving my child poison and will rely on building the immune system the way it was meant to be built.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 8:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• sorry to hear bout your problem but i can tell you this much. while all of my kids are vaccinated my dd izzy was not for like two years at fisrt this was our choice because she was born with a host of problems and we were scared everytime they gave her something she would get worse. so we decided at four months to just not let her get shots for a while. but in 09 she got really sick and had to be hospitalized because she got cat scratch fever and developed mrsa on top of that. in the process of the hospital treatment they told us as a precaution they were not going to give her any vaccines until they got some biopsies back of the lymph node that got infected was not also affected by lymphoma. so in the case after the docs she was not vacc, for like six months and that was for her saftey. as was the decision not to when she was a newborn. so i guess soemtimes health plays a big part of it....
    4g4b

Answer by 4g4b at 8:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Awh pookie. I usually think your answers are well thought out and interesting. Now you're just pointing fingers and saying "you're a stupid poo-poo head if you don't vax!" Good one. I am happy that I live in a country where I can choose what is injected into my child's body.
    Y.B.normal

Answer by Y.B.normal at 9:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My son almost died from his first round of vaccinations. Since he was given so many at once we have no clue which one or if the combination caused the reaction. I won't risk his life again with vaccinations.

chaiteamomma

Answer by chaiteamomma at 9:50 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I can get behind not wanting to vax for MMR, and varicella- I put my kids on a staggered schedule for those. They don't get flu shots. But I'll never understand not vaxing for Polio. Never. That just is not a disease you want to take chances with. Tetanus too. That's pretty easy to get. And not fun when you get it.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 9:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• The facts are the facts with major Vax.  Where I live children need them or they can not attend school.  The reason we don't see Polio is because we have been giving vaccinations since 1955.  The same is true for the Mumps which its vaccination was invented in 1967.

Yes there are individual cases that have reactions.  Yes, I think we should hold the drug manufactures to a higher standard to what is going into these shots.  With that said I am a Vaxer.

sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 10:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2011