toddlers teeth

okay so my daughter is 19 months old and has her teeth in {obviously} but i was wondering how cam i get her to let me bruxh her chops? she always takes the tooth brush to do it herself but all she does is suck on it..which is getting the front and bottom but what should i try to do?

amysmomma505

Asked by amysmomma505 at 3:25 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• make it a game. my 2 y/o loves it! she even did great with the dentist "painting" her teeth today. everything just becomes a game!
    watersgirls

Answer by watersgirls at 3:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Remember that this is a critical health item. If you do not get those teeth brushed, you will probably get to enjoy the experience of watching the dentist sedate your child and drill out the cavatives.
    So, how do you get them brushed? If the games don't work, have someone hold her arms while you pinch her nose closed. She'll have to open her mouth then. Mean? Yes. But far better than the risks of sedating her and the heartache of seeing her lying there limp and helpless.

Certainly try the games first - let her brush your teeth, let her choose if she brushes hers first or do you brush hers first, let her pick which toothbrush to use this time, etc. I've tried them all and all have worked at one point or another.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I would NEVER pinch my childs nose shut in order to get them to open their mouth. That is EXTREMELY CRUEL. There are much BETTER ways to go about it. PLEASE do not take the precious posters adivce that is just plain stupidity. I don't really have any advice since my son isn't exactly the happiest when getting his teeth brushed, but i just had to say something after i read that ridiculous post.
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 5:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• DO NOT LISTEN TO KAYCEE14. Be a good mother to your child and give them love and support and find other ways. Do not take away something they breath out of. I can't repeat it enough ohw STUPID STUPID STUPID that is. But making it a game does sound like a good idea! Grrr some people are just so ignorant and ridiculous
    ClvDandJ

Answer by ClvDandJ at 5:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• when i read that i kinda thought geezya know?? but i get them brushed by distracting her with toys or my makeup..if u had to know kaycee 1..yea it wouldbe hard to watch her laying there but that wont happen!!! thanks to the other two mothers tho!!!
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 16, 2008