What are great ideas to do with a 4 year old at home?

I have just become a stay at home mom, which I love every second of, but I am now babysitting a 4 month old who can't go outside as much as DS and I used to. We do crafts and board games and card games and such, any other ideas of how to keep him entertained when we have to stay inside?

hopingfor5

Asked by hopingfor5 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 13, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Set up an obstacle course. Be creative like.. Go under table, around ______, pour 5 dixie cups of cereal into bowl, sit on 3 chairs, toss ____ into ________ and crawl backwards to the finish line.
    Hide objects and let him search- sometimes telling him what he's searching for and other times he has to use the clues to guess.
    Have him line up toys and make patterns across the room. Car, ball, etc and see how long of a line he can make across the room. Challenge him to come up with new patterns. Good educational skill development:)
    Cut up strips of paper and mark different lines across the strips. Have him practice cutting along the lines with toddler scissors. When he's done, he can paste the shapes he cut and make pictures.
    Read lots of books:)
    ChattyWifePlus2

Answer by ChattyWifePlus2 at 10:59 AM on Jul. 13, 2008

• have you heard of mess-free crayola markers? my two year old LOVES those, when it's too hot to go outside. have you tried play doh? i put a trash bag under where my daughter sits, this way it doesn't get all over the carpet. even let them watch you bake something or, help bake something!
    LizMonahan

Answer by LizMonahan at 12:30 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• V-Smiles are very fun video game systems. They are educational and you can play them multiplayer so you can play with your 4YO.
    HeatherTurner

Answer by HeatherTurner at 1:24 PM on Jul. 13, 2008

• play dough! it keeps my 3 yr old and 5 yr old girls busy for a while, there are evn recipies for home made play dough.
    and sticker activity books are good too.
    also i try to read alot to them.
    try story time at the library, they love it!
    Flutterby23

Answer by Flutterby23 at 10:52 PM on Jul. 13, 2008