Christains does it offend you when people aare typing and type Xmas instead of christmas? if so why?

I am not christian so obvously im not offended, andspeaking for myself whe i tpye it i jist do it cuz it is shorter to type... but if iam typing to someone i know who is a christian i type it out... i have met some christians who say this is offensive but havent told me why so im just wonderiung y this short hand would be offensive to anyone.

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I was for a while since I felt that it "put an X where Christ should be" - as I'd heard. But just recently it was explained to me that X is actually the Greek letter Chi (I think this is the spelling), which stands for Christ. So even though I'll continue to always write Christmas, I won't let it bother me the other way.

Answer by Bmat at 3:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• no its just a easier way of typing it
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:32 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It doesn't offend me to read it as "Xmas", but I always try to type it out, because I think it's disrespectful in the most to shorten "Christ" to "X". But I don't say anything about it, it's all in stride.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 3:33 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• The reason people get offended is that your Xing out the Christ in Christmas.
    Anonymous

• The reason ppl get offended is because they haven't educated themselves. the X in Xmas means Christ. And if people took the time to actually look that up, no one would get offended.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:37 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• It doesn't offend me it just grieves me. I type CHRISTmas does that offend? I am sure it does some we live in an easily offended world.

TalithaStarry

Answer by TalithaStarry at 3:40 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• it wouldnt offend me Talitha.. its your way of sahring of your faith. i dont agree but i wont bash you.. people should just ignore things they dont like instead of getting the panites in a knot
    JrsMommy07

Answer by JrsMommy07 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

sigh. no, you're not.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Personally, I think it is just laziness. Same reason people send emails or post journals like they are texting.
    Anonymous

• I'm a believer. I write x-mas. I'm too lazy to write it all out most of the time. It means no disrespect or offense. Sometimes I wonder if people take time to look for things to find offense in.
    lifeofchaois

Answer by lifeofchaois at 5:44 PM on Dec. 16, 2008