Any of you wise ladies out there ever walked in the shoes of co-dependence?

Probably not necessary to go into a lot of detail about my situation...

I'm just looking for stories and advice on how to break free.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Relationships

• I have. I'm not really sure what advice to give though. You have to find yourself............look inside yourself. Learn how to make yourself happy without relying on someone else to do it for you. I just prayed a LOT, especially when I ended up co-depending on an abuser............hello duh! lol. Take little steps to being alone. Embrace it. It will get easier and you will get past this. Figure out what makes you happy and what YOU enjoy, and grasp that...........don't settle for anything less
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• yes, just learn to rely on yourself but it also involves another person who you are co dependant with. so you have to be strong around them and not let them suck you in . you have to be strong with your boundaries and be true to yourself
    Anonymous

• make a plan...i planned about a year b4 i left my abusive hubby.....i sought out and applied for low income housing got on welfare and broke free...he is now paying court ordered child support so i only get food stamps and medical for the kids. it was far from easy and there were days that i wondered if all this hell was worth the trouble....i been on my own only 3 months but i can feel a huge difference in how i feel and im more calm and confident
    Anonymous

• Get help.... Al-Anon, your church, whoever you can. You need to build yourself up so that you can stand on your own two feet and then take yourself out of the situation, I wish you much luck....
    companygoddess

Answer by companygoddess at 5:04 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• i did for cmany yrs. some how i learned that i was co-dependent. i read lots of book. still stayed for many yrs. one day i just decided that i wanted to be happy and where and who i was with it wouldn't happen. so i decided to divorce him since he didn't want to be with me anyway. it just happened for me. although i left him i still had co-dependent issues but through counseling and many yrs of being with myself. i have worked through them and i look at my husband and can say if he left me i would be sad but i would never be lost without him cause i still have me.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I have a great fact sheet on co-dependency in one of my journals. PM me & I'll send you the link.

strongmom40

Answer by strongmom40 at 7:17 AM on Dec. 17, 2008