Myths About Domestic Infant Adoption & Adoption From Foster Care

Excellent blog about the myths about domestic infant adoption & adoption from foster care.  A must-read for adoptive parents.

http://motherhooddeleted.blogspot.com/2011/06/when-myth-explodes.html

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Adoption

• bump

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 8:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• We adopted 2 beautiful new born babies right here in Iowa. It is possible! It is wonderful! And what a wonderful experience. I am having a little problem explaining adoption to them though.... I could use some suggestions! Anyone have their story to share???
    farmmom49

Answer by farmmom49 at 9:36 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Another must read for adoptive parents to a blog an anti adoption blog. Sigh. I am deeply sorry for your loss. I understand that your grief is something I can never begin to understand. I am also adopted and I do understand this subject from that side of the coin. I take that information, I read books, I talk to people and ask question and I respect my baby boy as an individual. Guess wh at, eventhough my son's birthmom cannot parent, we respect her too. She is not a healthy person right now, a life that she chooses, but we hope she will find her way and rejoin the family (she is a cousin). Many, Many, Many (not all) adoptive families ONLY want to raise happy and healthy children. We are not all these greedy, unfeeling, baby crazy wierdos. PS. I was done having babies, he came to me...and I am so happy he did.

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 10:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Ochsamom: couldn't have said it better myself.

I got about 3 sentences into the reply and logged off. Once the name calling begins, I check out. "Another must read" I can do without.
    Thank you for your reply.

SandalsKitty

Answer by SandalsKitty at 12:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I found the article very interesting. I disagree with the blogger in one sense though. These adoptive parents were victims also. At the time they adopted they were adopting a sibling group of 5 out of foster care. Isn't that usually considered the best and noble way to adopt? They adopted on good faith thinking that the birth family had been ruled out as suitable parents, at the time they didn't know that the only reason Florida made these kids adoptable was financial.
    I did agree with the blogger in that it would be best for these children if the adoptive mother could include the birth parents and the older siblings into the lives of the 3 younger ones rather than worrying that they would leave and never look back when they were 18. I also think that doing so would make the latter less likely to happen.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• OP, I agree with you somewhat. This is a must read, but not for aparents, for paps. If they don't want to become victims then they need to empower themselves with knowledge.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 2:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Quoting Ochsamom..."Many, Many, Many (not all) adoptive families ONLY want to raise happy and healthy children. We are not all these greedy, unfeeling, baby crazy wierdos."

bow down

AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Quoting OTT: "This is a must read, but not for aparents, for paps. If they don't want to become victims then they need to empower themselves with knowledge."

I could not agree with you more. Not only with PAParents, but with PBParents. Knowledge is a powerful thing and that knowledge and power can help in not allowing anyone to take advantage of you.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 4:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• bump

sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 8:50 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Wow I didn't realize there were people out there who actually disliked adoption. I think there are many kids who need a safe and loving home. Some people should not parent even if they can have kids biologically and some people should parent even if they can't. I have a close friend whose adopted and super close to her mom and has no interest in finding her natural family. I don't get this blogger :(
    LuLuMom6

Answer by LuLuMom6 at 1:22 AM on Jul. 9, 2011