If your teens smoke

Most smokers I know including myself all started as teens. So if your teen has started smoking how have you handled it? My dd has been grounded and lectured so many times over the past year but she still continues to sneak cigarettes. She does work so she has money to buy them. I smoke and after catching her again last night I finally decided the fighting about it was ruining our relationship and told her she is now allowed to smoke at home. How has anyone else handled this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

• I only had one who did that. He was also Bipolar and cycled daily and on so many different pills to handle his behavior problems I figured smoking was the least of my worries. I did the same as you at first, then told him I would not buy them for him and he could not do it on the property.

Answer by gemgem at 9:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Ugh... tough call. It's a sad thing, often kids like to replicate what they see their parents doing. I suggest trying to quit with your teen! It's hard I know ... it's a struggle you can commit to for both your sakes! Good luck!
    isismoon3

Answer by isismoon3 at 9:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• On Sunday i about beat mine. LOL
    He changed his profile picture on Facebook of him smoking, i was so pissed, both me and my husband gave him quite the lecture on hasn't he learned anything from us and how hard we have tried to quit and failed so many times and not to mention the cost of smoking, what a waste of money. I will not let him smoke, yes i am a total hypocrite i guess but i do not want him going through what we do on a daily basis.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 9:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• It sounds like you need to overcome your own additiction in order to be an example for your daughter. That old drug commercial where the dad finds the kid's pot and the kid says "I learned it by watching you" really is true. I'm not bashing you, I'm just telling you what I think you already know. She hears it's wrong, but she sees it's okay so she's not going to stop. Good luck (c:
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• That is a tough call. My mom smoked and so did I. She would let my friends smoke, but not me. If she caught me she would punish me. She did this until the day I graduated High School. Funny they made my oldest brother smoke a whole pack when they caught him. He never smoked. My middle brother never got caught he smoked for 20 yrs. I got a spanking (I was really young when I tried my first smoke). I smoked for about 2yrs after I was "allowed".

My advice...Don't worry about making her mad at you. Do what you feel is right. You are her mom and just because she is getting older doesn't mean that you two have to get along everyday. She is going to disagree with you, but you still have to parent her. It is still your house and your rules.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 9:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I have 3 kids and have only had this problem with my youngest. It's so sad but I really don't think there is much you can do once they are hooked. I don't like that my daughter smokes but I know how hard it is to quit since I have smoked since my early teens. I wish there was a magical answer but there isn't and what works for one parent may not work for another one. Good luck.
    NanaTerri730

Answer by NanaTerri730 at 9:27 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I started at 14. My mom Knew but I was NEVER allowed to do it on her property or in front of her until I was 18.. period. No exceptions.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My son is 18, he smokes........then again, I smoke more. He does not smoke around me and makes sure his friends don't either. I hate that he does, but hopefully when I get my "no smoking game" back on.....he'll be with me!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:14 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Mine don't smoke. But My husband (their father) and I don't smoke either.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i smoked (15) but I stopped after my mom showed me some really gross pictures on the internet and i also stopped cause I got pregnant so I didn't really have a chose but anyway just show her some gross stuff it will make her quit.
    brittbritt103

Answer by brittbritt103 at 12:07 PM on Jul. 7, 2011