This it totally unfair!!! We are being ripped off! Are you?

We just got our ins. bill (cars & home) & was shocked about the increase. The explanation I was given was b/c of the tornadoes in the area LAST YEAR!! WE did NOT have a claim b/c of those! Why should WE have to pay for someone else's claims?! Insurance co.'s are multi-billion dollar corps. partly due to ripping off their customers! UGH!!! (*vent)

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 9:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• Yep, Im in NJ and ours just went up too! We got the same sort of answer ....talk about not being in the way of Tornados!
    Happymom2-2

Answer by Happymom2-2 at 10:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• The point of insurance is that you DO pay for other people's claims. Everyone pays into a fund and when people have claims they draw from that fund to pay them. If they had to draw a lot more from it than usual, they have to up the premiums they charge in order to compensate. They may bring in billions of dollars every year but they pay out a whole lot too, plus the overhead of running a business, plus paying employees. Their executives make bank, but everyone under them is a regular joe.

My health insurance is screwing me because they consider vaccines "wellness care" instead of preventative care, and didn't tell me about the change. They covered all my daughter's last year, but when I went to get my kids vaccinated this year they filed it under the wellness benefit, which has a $150 limit for the WHOLE family. I got charged $300 for my kids shots, which I can't afford. Now we don't have a doctor until I can pay that off.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I can make payments, and I am, but I can't afford the amount they want to charge me. I already have more than $10,000 in medical debt that I'm paying on, we're stretched to the max. If the kids need something urgent I'll take them to urgent care, but the health department here still charges the same amount for the vaccines, they just won't refuse to vaccinate on the ability to pay. So I'll just rack up more debt :(

I see what you're saying about your insurance too. It really does make sense, though, because if you're making a lot of claims then you're not profiting them and they have to increase your premiums. I get it... I hate it, but I get it lol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Ati 13 I see what you are saying, but you can bet if we had to make a claim, it'd go up even more! As to your medical, yes, ours is getting out of hand too! Will your Dr. let you make payments on the balance? Most will work w/ you if you agree to make monthly payments. Your local health dept. is a good option for any more shots you may need. We went thru that when my dau was young & had to have a lot of shots after we reached our limit. Hope you work it out. :)
    mrsmom110

Comment by mrsmom110 (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You certainly have the right to price out other carriers, increase your deductibles, etc.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011