Transitioning from SAHM

I am currently a stay at home mom, who makes a little bit extra money babysitting part time and occasionally bartending for private parties. I am starting to feel like its not enough. I want a career. I received my degree online a few years ago, but haveno experience doing anything. And in this economy, I don't even know what kind of job I would be able to find. I"m looking for advice from former stay-at-home moms who went back to work and basically started from scratch. What resources did you use? Thanks for your help!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• instead of telling yourself "there's no jobs ;( waaaaa booooo"
    just think NO this career exists i will hunt it down!!! if its the most important thing to you right now, you will find a way
    lizzybee44

Answer by lizzybee44 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 8, 2011

• You have to look at what's available in your area. I went from being a sahm to working and I wanted to teach, but there weren't any jobs open. I worked as a sub for years before I got a classroom teaching job.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I was a SAHM and went to college during this time. I had a hard time finding a job too. I went to temp agencies for help. I have a wonderful career now thanks to the temp agency.

My3Ez

Answer by My3Ez at 9:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• What is your degree in? This should point you in a career direction. Stay-at-home moms have lots of skills that employers value: budgeting, time and people management, etc. I do career and job search coaching. Send me a message if you have any questions about where to start your job search (hint: http://www.linkedin.com/ )

Answer by rkoloms at 2:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• The community college might have some leads for you ~
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 4:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2011