Cute? Dumb?

My grandmother is turning 80 & the family is having a bday party. I wanted to get her something but was having a hard time figuring something out. I ended up having my daughter pick out a couple of fun dress up things we got a "birthday girl" tiara & a pink boa & I was thinking of letting my daughter pick out a couple more cute costume jewlery things today at the store too.

Cute idea or dumb?

My gram is fun loving not a grumpy type of old person & even if she dosent want to wear the stuff I figured would be cute to decorate her room at the nursing home with. Another reason why I had a hard time figuring something out she only has so much room for things. She could drape the boa around something & put the tiara on top of something if she wanted to. I dont know lol I really am having a hard time with a gift for her!

Mel30248

Asked by Mel30248 at 9:37 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Just for Fun

• That is a really cute gift. It will make her feel young again. I like that idea cause I was a CNA and I saw that all the time. The ladies just loved it!!!
    pregers2011

Answer by pregers2011 at 9:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i think that it's a cute idea!! if she is fun loving and not grumpy then why not? the dollar store also has like badges and cute ribbons that say birthday girl.
    amberpaiz

Answer by amberpaiz at 9:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• We had DD color a birthday cake picture from her coloring book and had it framed for her wall with a photo of all of us together at her party stuck in the corner.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think it's cute, but I would also add in the card or something, that you want to take the special birthday girl out for a nice lunch... :) just. A little something else.
    BabyBugsmama

Answer by BabyBugsmama at 9:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Thanks ladies, I will pick up a couple more things today or rather have my daughter do so at the dollar store then & we'll wrap it all up as a bundle. I think she will find it cute esp if I say my 3yo picked out the gift for her! Usually if I say my 3yo did it everyone loves whatever it is hahahaha
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 9:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• BabyBugs - taking her out to lunch would be nice except we dont live anywhere near her! Five hours in fact, we are driving down on friday, party is saturday then coming home sunday haha Most of my famliy lives over that way so we'll get to see everyone.
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 9:47 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think that's a really cute idea! Here are some gift Ideas I would suggest, not really knowing your grandma, but just thinking of the elderlyh people I know.
    1) a photo scrapbook of your family (or of her, if you can get enough pics). Scrapbooks are different from albums in that you add stories and journal notes, making them more of a story with pictures. I love scrapbooking! And if you wanted help, you could ask other relatives to each make a few pages for the album.
    2) Buy a box of letter paper, address all the envelopes to her, and stamp them. When she unwraps it, tell her that her gift is a letter a month from you, then you take the letter paper home.
    3) craft supplies. Does she knit or crochet? You could get her yarn and a pattern of something to make for your daughter or for herself.
    4) food. My grandmother LOVED Hydrox cookies, but was in a nursing home in WI, where you can only find oreos. We got her hydrox.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 9:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Lorelei - thanks for the ideas! I am saving the idea of a scrapbook for xmas haha only so many pic gifts I can do! She got a photo calander this past xmas & wrote everyones bday in it. The letter idea is cute but we make phone calls all the time to say hi anyway. I agree with food usually nobody can go wrong with something yummy =) Great suggestions thank you!
    Mel30248

Comment by Mel30248 (original poster) at 10:07 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• oh that sounds fun she will feel young again ...go for it
    littlekitty2002

Answer by littlekitty2002 at 11:51 AM on Jul. 6, 2011