What can i do for my 5 month old?? please help!

My son is getting over a bad case of croupe and has a lingering cough that wont go away. I know he can't have cough syrup but is there anything I can do to soothe his cough and help him get over it?? Last night he had like a 25 min coughing fiit and I just felt horrible that I couldn't make it stop. Thanks for any advice.

randibosin

Asked by randibosin at 9:47 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Our DD was dx with croupe at 5 mo and the pedi prescribed something, it tasted nasty (I tasted it) and she hated it. I forget what it was called, but it worked like a dream. When we could get her to stop coughing for a second, I nursed her and stuck the medicine dropper in her mouth at the same time. I'd make an appt to see the pedi, but until you can get in like another momma mentioned turn on the hot hot shower and let it get all steamy and take him in and sit for about 15-20 min. Or if its cool at night (usually when the cough is the worst) take him outside and breath in the air. My 6 yo has had croupe since 2 yo, his allergies usually set it off yearly every summer :( GL to you and I hope he gets to feeling better soon.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 4:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• We had a humidifier but i would ask your doctor what their best idea is... poor babe, hope they feel better soon!
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:49 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Turning the shower on and sitting in the steamy bathroom will help too. GL! Talk to your doctor, poor baby.
    MrsLLove

Answer by MrsLLove at 9:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I'd try the doctor again..
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:20 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Definitely call the doctor. It could be asthma, or even whooping cough.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Check with your doctor. Since he's so young they don't have alot of medicine but if he is having that much trouble breathing they may want him to have breathing treatments.
    Quinn525

Answer by Quinn525 at 9:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Could be allergies... talk to a doc first but try allergy meds. Good luck!
    Raja828

Answer by Raja828 at 10:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Poor baby!!! Get him to a doctor. He is going to want to see him to make sure it is not something else.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 10:08 AM on Jul. 6, 2011