Recipe ideas for smoked sausage?

I normally make a pasta with this with plain spaghetti sauce, but last time I made it no one seemed too excited (I'm getting sick of it too). So, I need some ideas because that's what I've got thawed for dinner tonight. (c:

scout_mom

Asked by scout_mom at 10:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• How about making some type of gumbo with rice and shrimp? I know they have pre-mixed spices and stuff for it.
    BryRon

Answer by BryRon at 10:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I make cheesy potatoes and serve the sausage on the side. I just slice it into pieces and pan fry it.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 10:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I use it with a box of Zataran's Jambalaya (sp?)
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Yellow rice with peas, carrots, or the like. Slice the sausage in it, or serve it on the side. A nice salad goes well with it.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• we do smoked sausage with fried potatoes(yeah not the healthiest...lol) and love it! Add some onions, green pepers(or nothing if you don't like those) We use the left overs for breakfast, we add scrambled eggs to it.
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 10:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Wrap it in a tortilla or make breakfast tacos with it. Gumbo is a great idea. Jambalya too. We like to grill sausage sometimes.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 1:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I usually either grill it or boil it and then serve it with a vegetable(on the grill if possible) and a salad; or grill it and add it to my homemade macaroni and cheese and the kids can't get enough of it
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:04 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Spicy Sausage and Penne Casserole

Ingredients:

8 ounces mini penne pasta or elbow macaroni
    12 to 16 ounces smoked andouille sausage, thinly sliced
    1/2 cup chopped onion
    1/2 cup chopped red or green bell pepper
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 tablespoons flour
    1 1/2 cups milk
    2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
    1 teaspoon Creole seasoning
    salt and pepper, to taste
    1/2 to 1 cup soft fine bread crumbs tossed with 2 to 3 teaspoons melted butter
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:07 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• cont

Preparation:
    Cook pasta following package directions; drain, rinse, and set aside.

In a large saucepan or skillet, cook the andouille sausage with onion and bell pepper until onions are translucent. Remove the sausage mixture to a plate and set aside.

Heat oven to 350°. Lightly grease a 2-quart casserole or spray with nonstick cooking spray.

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in the same skillet over medium heat; stir in flour until blended. Gradually add the milk and Creole seasoning. Cook, stirring constantly, until thickened. Add the cheese and stir until melted. Taste and add salt and pepper, as needed. Stir in the drained pasta and sausage mixture. Spoon into the prepared casserole. Sprinkle bread crumbs over the top of the casserole.

Bake for 30 minutes, or until topping is browned and casserole is bubbly.
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Crockpot Smoked Sausages with Potatoes and Cabbage

Ingredients:

2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled or peeled, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
    1 tablespoon butter, melted
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon pepper
    1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
    1 medium onion, halved, sliced
    1/2 small cabbage, coarsely chopped or shredded
    6 to 8 links of smoked sausage, such as andouille, chicken and apple, or your favorite
    1/2 cup apple juice
    2 teaspoons cider vinegar

Preparation:
    Arrange sliced potatoes in the bottom of a 4-to 7-quart slow cooker. Drizzle with the butter and sprinkle with about half of the salt, pepper, and thyme. Toss to coat then add the cabbage and onions. Sprinkle with remaining seasonings and top with the sausages. Pour the apple cider over all and then drizzle with vinegar.

Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours on LOW or 3 to 4 hours on HIG
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 10:09 AM on Jul. 7, 2011