Do you feel that breast feeding debates get as heated as religious debates?

Why do you think it gets so heated?

pookiekins34

Asked by pookiekins34 at 10:22 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• It seems that some people have STRONG views on these subjects & will do and say anything to prove their point.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 10:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think it's because there are people who can't realize that it really is a choice. I've gotten some really nasty messages from those who breastfed because I tell moms it's okay to use formula or that I would prefer breastfeeding moms to use some discretion instead of flopping it all out there.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think it gets way out of hand. We as mothers all have to do what is best for the baby and us. I don't know why some women feel like it is their business what another mom does.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I don't know why it gets heated at all. It's not their boobs.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 10:27 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Anything involving children can get heated. Mothers just want whats best (Most of the time). What's best is subjective though. I breastfeed now, but I've also formula fed my oldest. Its all just parental choices, and those will always be debated with gusto!
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• yes, because everyone else wants to believe their way is the only way.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• it gets heated when people start saying formula is poison ect. it gets really heated when mothers point to other mothers that they are not doing what is best for their child and they didn;t try ect. noone knows what the other mothers went through. we judge those on one thing. come on. i breastfed and formula fed. i really do not care. she is healthy and happy and that is all that matters. to each their own.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:30 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Minnesota all you do is brag and try to make yourself look like your perfect. We totally are not buying it.lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Yes, I do. I think it gets so heated because as mothers we all want nothing but the best for our children. We do the best with what we have. I know I get sensitive when someone says something I do for my children is wrong, is hurting them, etc. And hearing that breastfeeding is best, and all the amazing things breastfeeding does, often sounds like an accusation of "you're not good enough". It's the truth, formula feeding increases risks for kids, and it's NOT ideal, but I can totally see how it would hurt to hear that if you didn't have the support or knowledge to make breastfeeding successful for you. I think most women know that formula feeding is a distant second to breastfeeding, it just hurts to feel like you're being accused of being a bad mom.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Yes---LOL---it gets loony. Its like they are using their babies and breastfeeding to create an issue that they can get hysterical about and they have forgotten that it is only breastfeeding, not some kind of "ceremony". Then they feel that they should be rewarded....LOL... and crowned as "Mom of the Year" in the breastfeeding category! Really! I breastfed. My friends did. My daughter breastfed twins for a year. She always breastfeeds her kids. ( With a special cover-up in place)
    But we don't BRAG and make a spectacle of ourselves.I don't know anyione who does. (Except here at CM ... )
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 10:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2011