How early did your child start talking?

Hi I am 6 months pregnant, and I was just curious about how long it might take my little girl to start talking after she is born? I know I shouldn't be thinking about that at this moment, but I want to.

pregers2011

Asked by pregers2011 at 10:23 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• every child is different.mine was repeating words by 13months. but again every child is different. mine was more into communicating in her own way. she understood more then she spoke at an earlier age. don;t worry so much about it because i want to go back to the none verbal days.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:25 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• It is all so individual. I have 1 that was advanced and one that was seriously delayed. My oldest said Da Da at 5 months. My youngest didn't say his first word unil he was 13 months. Grandkids are much the same. She spoke at about 6-7 months starting with Da-da then mama. He didn't speak more than 2 words until he was 22 months and in speech. He is still in speech 6 years later.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 10:26 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I have 5 kids and they are/were all different. The earliest for me was 6 months for first words. He said: ball, bike, baba, baby, binky and mama all in one week at 6 1/2 months old. By 12 months he was speaking in complete sentences.
    On the other end I had a delayed child who didn't say her first word (mama) until she was 16 months, only knew 2 words (mama and dada) at 18 months and didn't really start talking in sentences until she was almost 3 and then it was hard to understand her. They are 9 and 8 (respectively now) and you can't tell the difference between them with their speech (except the previously delayed child NEVER stops talking now, lol).
    My youngest is about to turn 1 (next week) and hasn't said a definite first word. He babbles mama, dada and, occasionally, baba but none of them consistently.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2011