23 months, and still only says dada.

Does anyone have any tips, on how to get my daughter to talk more?
Really I am very concerned, and I hate that shes 23 months, and only says "dada" "nana" "Kitty" and "pop"
We've had her hearing tested, she hears fine, ITs just like she refuses to talk... And just throws fits when I make her say something rather then just handing it to her.
Ugh, This may sound horrible, But It embarrasses me, LIke She wont say hi to my parents, or anyone, She can wave Bye bye, But thats the extent of it.
I feel like I've messed up somewhere along the line, and I try to be a great mom.
I am so worried for her. :(

TheTara

Asked by TheTara at 3:45 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i dunno i would say work with her more buy some card that have pictures on them and tell her what they are over and over she will get the hang of it
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:49 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I don't believe you've messed up anywhere, don't blame yourself. It's not your fault. You can take her to a speech pathologist, maybe, the doctor can help her. Hope your daughter progresses well in the near future. Good luck. Take Care!
    GreekMama28

Answer by GreekMama28 at 3:50 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Is she in any playgroups? A lot of times if kids see others close to their age doing something they will want to too. Talk with her constantly, and try for it not to be baby talk but like you are talking to a big kid. If all else fails there's always speech therapy, they can give you great tips for how to get her more talkative.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 4:00 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• I agree; I would consult a speech therapist. If it upsets her, it may be very difficult for her. My dd says "F" in place of "Sm" when speaking. The other day, my dh & I were working with her on it. We were practicing the word "smart". She was saying "fart". So we were asking her to say different "S" words, and we asked her to say "SEmart Semart" until it turned into "Smart". She finally said it. When we asked her to say it again. She said "fart". We asked her to say it the other way, and she said, "I don't want to; it is really hard." So sometimes for whatever reason, I suppose it can be difficult for a child to speak certain sounds or in your daughter's case perhaps to speak much at all. A speech therapist should be able to help you guys through it.
    Senae

Answer by Senae at 4:27 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Give Early Intervention a call. I have two receiving speech therapy and they've made tremendous progress! My youngest was 23 months before he said his first word! Now, 2 months later with speech therapy once a week he's finally saying more words and two word phrases.

If she does receive speech therapy, it doesn't mean anything is wrong....she needs a little boost to get her going, and for the most part...the majority of kids will listen to someone else before listening to mom! LOL

And Senae...my middle son replaces "tr" with "f". You can imagine how I don't want him to try to say "truck" in public!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:18 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• Im right there with you.... I also have a 23 month old who will only say tractor,bye bye, shoes, juice, cheese and just a couple other things. We have had him in speech therapy for about 4 months now and they really just come to help you. Since were the ones with them all the time, they tell us things to do that might help him start having a vocabulary. His therapist has us reading the same book for 3 weeks in a row and we point out one thing on each page and say pink pig or just pig. This way he starts to learn how to say it and what it is. Of course hes defiant half the time and doesnt want anything to do with the book but we also label every thing we do. We cant make them talk so just keep working with her and see what happens. Every child learns and there own pace.
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 7:53 PM on Dec. 16, 2008