Do you have a problem with a mother breastfeeding in public? Why or why not?

pookiekins34

Asked by pookiekins34 at 10:28 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Nope. I NIP with a light cover. You don't see anything but tiny feet sticking out of the blanket. If you have a problem with it, look away.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 10:30 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I worked at Walmart a few years ago and while I was ringing a lady up she pulled her breast right over the top of her tank top, no bra, and popped it in the babies mouth. I was really taken aback by it. I just feel if you do it in public you should be a little more modest.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 10:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Not usually. However, more than once I have seen the flopped out boob. I think it might have something to do with the "redneck" mentality of many people in our area, but I've seen it at the mall many times and just last weekend at the pool - no cover up and because her tiny swim top barely covered both boobs when she wasn't feeding, when she had it pulled over to the side the other boob was hanging out too. All I want is some discretion, I don't think it's too much to ask.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• NO! Why do we  act like such jerks here in America?! YOU ARE FEEDING YOUR BABY!! Other countries it is so normal they don't even glance twice! People need to get over it!  A woman can show off her boobs in a low cut top but she can't feed her kid in public unless she covers up for too senitive people!!

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• no, because she has to feed her baby and usually they are covered up so its not a big deal. I did it when i had to.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 10:29 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I have zero problem with it, and I do it myself. I have NEVER seen women walk around with their boobs hanging out, flinging them around the way people claim to hate...I"ve never seen a nursing mother draw any attention to themselves with or without a cover.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 10:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I really don't see the problem. It's just a boob. Why do people freak out over it??
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 10:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• "its pretty much naive to think that everyone looks at boobs as only a way to feed babies. LOL. There are men (straight men) who look at boobs as sexual objects and if they DON'T,then you have a real problem. And there are pervs out there at the Mall, in public, in parks, looking at your boobs too. SOrry, but the ONLY place you can be sure that your boobs will be seen as a way to feed your baby is in a room with other breastfeeding Moms"- minnesotanice

Well, duh! of course men look at boobs differently. my husband drools over mine, but he's also educated & evolved enough to know that boobs are originally designed for breastfeeding. As far as the pervs, well, just b/c they're out there, we should cover up? No, tell them to 'f' off. There are pervs that look at kids too, and if i ever see onc looking at my kid, they'd better duck and run fast. I won't put up with that either. perversion & ignorance is not a good excuse.
    boobarandbell

Answer by boobarandbell at 3:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I don't mind at all. If your child is hungry feed them! I don't want to see your breasts though and I don't want my child to see your breasts so I think a little modesty is only polite. I've seen at least 10 women within the last month who not only pull a boob out but they take their sweet time having their child latch. One woman at the park was talking to me when her six year old came up pulled her shirt up and started nursing. I was speechless.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 10:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I have to agree with most of the moms that have posted. In general it doesn't bother me at all. But just because you are breast feeding doesn't mean I want to see your sisters. I too have seen a walking and talking child go up to his mother and say "I'm thirsty" and lift her shirt expose her boob and start sip'n. I have seen boobs with no cover up in the mall.

Now I tell you I am no prude, but if i was sitt'n at the mall and flipped out a sister while I was adjusting my bra strap the cops would not be very happy with me. So why is it okay just because there is a baby attached? Just say'n
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 10:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2011