What are the odds for an exchanged student to....?

to gain a significant amount of weight while living with a family whose members are all obese?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in

• I think the odds of the exchange student gaining weight are high. Using your example - if all family members are obese chances are that they could not be eating right, which means they are making those choices at the supermarket. If the student lives and eats in that house the student is many times going to eat those same foods.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 10:35 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think it depends on the student's own metabolism.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:32 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Little to none. I have know several overweight families who took in exchange kids - and those kids looked the same when they returned home as the did when they came to live with that family.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• If it's for a whole school year, I could see the student putting on a lot of weight. If it's just a semester or a summer, I think the odds are low - although I could see them with a small gain of 5 lbs.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:05 AM on Jul. 6, 2011