What do you when your child is learning to talk and you are unable to understand the child's request?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:34 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I went through this with my poor ds. One afternoon, he just kept on repeating something and throwing his arms around in frustration with me because I had NO clue what he wanted. He finally gave up on me......Guess it really wasn't all that important after all! I am usually pretty good at figuring it out, but not that day!
    AngieBry

Answer by AngieBry at 10:38 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• An example of what I did. I would take them to the kitchen and give them options. When I figured out what they wanted I would make sure to repeat yes or the name over and over of what they chose. Repition is key.
    pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would first try to guess what he wanted then I would ask him to bring me or show me what he wanted
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 10:36 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My dd had speack and hearing delays, we had a speach theropist come in & help her. I don't think you need that BUT I was going to say is that we started teaching her single language, like cookies, mike, ect. Simple signs.
    Its always like this, I think, where only family can understnad young children.
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:41 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Sign language, sorry, I'm on my phone, at work & in a metting... lol
    SassySue123

Answer by SassySue123 at 10:42 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You will eventually learn to recognize what the baby wants, but it is better even if you do understand to rephrase in a proper way what he is trying to tell you so he can learn to speak properly.

Answer by older at 10:36 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i gave her choices to narrow it down. even now she is pretty clear but there are things she says that i do not understand.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:36 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Thank you ladies. But what if you've run all the possibles options and the child still doesn't seem to locate his request.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• We had this with my niece, she kept telling us she wanted to be "wronger" after a month we finally figured out she wanted to be LONGER or taller. drove us nuts until we figured it out. Keep trying it may end up being something silly like Cambria's lol
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 10:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Got it. Thank you all. Great advice!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2011