Will they give me a chance to request a new Social secruity card?

I just started a job a few days ago. I gave them all my information including my social security number. Now they are asking for the card and I don't have it. I just recently had my purse stolen and haven't had a chance to go request a new card yet. I had to start my new job the next day and after work the social office is closed. Do you think they will fire me for not having it or will they give me a chance to request one and I can bring them a receipt?  Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:44 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• I think they will give you a chance to request another one.

Answer by older at 10:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Of course they will give you time to get one. I lost mine too.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would think if you explain that your purse was stolen and you are going to go request a new one, they should be fine with it.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 10:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would think they would give you the chance! Good luck mamma!
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:45 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Just tell them what happened, you can order a new one on line, and that should be good enough, you can take your tax return in in the meantime to offer up proof.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:46 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Do you have a passport? That would probably work. They have to have a copy of your legal status to work on file, and for taxes, but a passport would work.

But they should definitely give you time to get a new card (unless they are really, really, really, really, really concerned that you are not working legally)
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 11:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• bow downThanks ladies!! I feel better now!

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:48 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I don't have a passport. Never left the country before. I was born here so I don't think they would assume I am an illegal.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:24 AM on Jul. 6, 2011