Does anyone have a Black lab puppy? Need help

We have a 7month old black lab puppy he is so cute but he is so bad. He eats everything and chews on whatever he doesnt eat. I dont know what to do with him anymore. I really want to kill him for everything he has destroyed. we have bought him bones and toys and the bones hold him off from chewing on my stuff but onces its gone he is at it again. i though labs were suppose to be smart, but no one said they would be stupid for 2 years first. please help i can take it anymore.

AmiliasMom

Asked by AmiliasMom at 10:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Pets

• four words my friend................ crate and obedience training!!!!

Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 10:58 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I have been told you do not let them have free run of the area until they are trained not to chew ,so confining them to a crate confines what they can chew on. Look up crate training! Hope this helps!
    toddler101

Answer by toddler101 at 11:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Well my lab was a puppy at one point. It is not that he is stupid it is that labs have a ton of energy and they are excellent chewers! Do you take him for daily walks? He might just be chewing sooo much because he is restless. We had to talk Missy for walks twice a day when she was that age. She is almost 2 now and she is much better....she only chews on her bones and toys, sometimes steals a toy from DD. Also they make these plastic bone things that are for strong chewers...buy him one of those....we bought one a year ago and still have it, because it is practically it is made specifically for that purpose.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Make sure that you crate him when you are not right with him. Also, get some training lessons. Last, I would buy the hard natural bones and fill with peanutbutter. Give to him each time you put in the crate. As mine got older I would buy one large rawhide a week. They were about 1 to 1 and half foot long and thick. Its worth the money on the bones so they don't eat the furniture. Also, lots of exercise and patience.
    Amr515

Answer by Amr515 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I feel your pain. Labs are big time chewers. They can chew for up to 5 yrs. Is he crate trained?

Even though he is a big dog they like a crate, it will keep him calm. You need to get him a good chew bone like a Nyalbone they last and last. Training is key. He is not a dumb as you think he just needs good training and that takes time. Work on one command at at time and not all day. 15 to 20 mins at at time. Hope this helps.
    sipn_mom

Answer by sipn_mom at 11:03 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I have had tons of dogs in my life and my current dog (English Mastiff) has eaten shoes, 2 doors, molding, the cat food dish, cups, buckets ect. Crating is a good thing when you are not around. Obedience training is also key. Unfortunately the smarter the dog, the more trouble they will get into in their puppy years (about 2 years.) My parents had a boarder collie (super smart) that was hell for the first 2 yearss and then suddenly he was the best dog they had ever had. I personally only get rescue dogs because I no longer have the patience for puppies. Good Luck!
    Quinn525

Answer by Quinn525 at 11:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• YES!!!! We found our black lab puppy at 9 months of age and GEEZ did she chew!!!!!! She chewed HUGE holes in the walls, chewed up my cushions on my outdoor furniture....she even chewed up the gutter "hose" thingy that drains water away from the house. That thing was at least 20 feet long. Yes I wanted to murder her!!! She finally grew out of that phase when she was around 13 months old. We also bought a crate for her to stay in at night. So there is hope!!! It's just a phase....a REALLY ANNOYING PHASE :) But now she is THE BEST DOG I've ever owned! Good Luck!
    MandarinAnnie

Answer by MandarinAnnie at 11:17 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Dogs are only as stupid as their owners allow them to be. Train your dog! Try crate training, obedience training, more exercise, and you can also buy a kong for him to chew on (with your supervision). You can't expect a puppy to be perfect.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 11:27 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I have a Border Collie/Lab Mix that is almost a year- They have SO Much Energy & get Bored very easy so, if they haven't had the proper Exercise & Attention they will Chew & Tear up Any & Everything in Sight! they are Very Smart Dogs but, they need lots of guidance.. lots of luck:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 12:25 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• puppies chew! Give him old socks or old slippers!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2011