When to introduce sippy cups.

Our DD is 6 mo and she loves having drinks of out daddy's cup, she gets just as excited to get her hands on a regular cup as she does when she sees "boobies" lol its water in the cup when she gets a little, but I'm not going to let daycare feed her out of a regular cup, but how about a sippy cup if she wants it and it works? Is there a "too early" age to do that? Thanks!

yesmaam

Asked by yesmaam at 11:00 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The no-spill type can be hard to master because the kids need to suck quite hard. A regular cup or sippy w/o a no-spill valve can be mastered at 4 - 6 months. The no-spill ones, I'd say 9 - 12 months.
    JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 11:10 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• We started on sippy cups and normal cups as soon as the girls could sit up and hold things on their own. we stuck them outside on a warm day and handed them cups with water
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 11:02 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• If she seems ready then I would go for it, I tried to introduce one to my daughter last month (8 months) and she was NOT impressed because she couldn't figure out how to get the juice out. I will try again next month.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 11:04 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I gave my daughter a sippy cup at 6 months. she's great with them. I give her a bottle at night and that's all. We are officially throwing them out tomorrow! Now she is 10 months and is doing great with the sippy cup. We are slowly introducing the hard sippy cups now
    B00boo

Answer by B00boo at 11:09 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My kids all started on the sippy at 6 months. Never really used bottles at all.
    MandyP27

Answer by MandyP27 at 12:04 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Any soft spout. We started the sippy cup long before this age, with caregiver holding. A newborn can be fed with a sippy cup if the caregiver is holding it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think she's showing she's ready just start doing the sippy cup with the no spill, each baby is different so it may take time to find the sippy cup that works best. We went and brought different kinds and ended up with some favorites out of it.
    good luck!
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 1:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Awww, poor girl - AF4life.. I was just concerned about milk coming out wayyy too fast from a sippy cup and her chocking. The last time we had sippy cups was 6 years ago so we'll be learning all over again :) Is there a kind anyone would recommend? We've been very fortunate to have never had an issue with nipple confusion, she's done great with bottles and breast since teh beginning..
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 11:06 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Thank you JSD :)
    yesmaam

Comment by yesmaam (original poster) at 11:14 AM on Jul. 6, 2011