Dealing w/ toddler tantrums- biting, screaming, hair-pulling & throwing things

My 18 month old has been throwing huge tantrums quite frequently (when I take things away from her, remove her from a dangerous situation, try to put her on her stroller after she has been out and about, if I give her a stern "no!" or refuse to do something she wants me to). Her tantrums feature shrieking and wailing (it's worse, and embarrassing, if we are out), throwing things and, what's more troubling to me, biting (usually me) and pulling her own hair. I know these tantrums are a product of frustration and lack of control and I know many ppl recommend just ignoring or distracting her, but I also want to correct her and make her understand that she can't bite others or slam things. I also need her to comply to getting put back on her stroller or being held if we are out without all the drama. I think she might be too young to understand Time Outs, so I wanted other mom's ideas/tips/experiences in avoiding & controlling tantrums and correcting aggressive behavior in very young toddlers. Anyone?

gems74

Asked by gems74 at 11:13 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son tried that one time when he was younger. I spanked his butt...he never did it again.
    onemellowmom

Answer by onemellowmom at 11:15 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• when my son throws a fit he stands in time out he is 2, and when he throws things I will pop his hand, and if he gets WAY over dramaic he gets a spanking, it works as long as you stay with it and do not let her get away with it every once in awhile
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:33 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• We had to leave the grocery store today because my daughter was throwing a huge tantrum. My cart was full and the manager was nice enough to say he would put everything back for me. I don't have any good suggestions for helping with stopping tantrums (so i need advice for that as well), but the only thing I can think to do is do your best to prevent the tantrums. I overslept this morning and didn't have a chance to give my little girl bfast before her preschool class. And instead of doing the logical thing and taking her home to eat, I went to the grocery store because I didn't want to have to put her back in the car later. So I say try tomake sure they are fed and well rested and that should help cut down on the tantrums. Sorry I don't have anything better. But know that you re definitely not alone and it happens to everybody.
    Bluebird8874

Answer by Bluebird8874 at 1:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My nephew behaves like that sometimes also. It used to be everyday but, it has gotten better. When he does, I will pop him to get his attention and repeatedly tell/make him what I want him to do and talk quietly so, if he wants to hear me he has to quiet down. When he is in the buggy he has to sit with the legs crossed and hands in his lap and I will hold him like that until he decides he wants to do it voluntarily.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 1:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• When mine were that age spankiing just made them louder, and is that what you really want? I would stop what ever we were doing, and go to the car. Even if it meant that I had to pick up both of my screaming toddlers and the stroller and walk half way across the mall. The only way they ever got it was if I simply stopped what ever 'fun' thing we were doing and just left. It worked, and the only tantrums they had after that were if they were tired or hungry. If I need to get something done? THey don't come with me. My children bit me once each and never did it again, I was simply and firmly tell them No (I have a deep loud voice) and set them away from me. As for the hair pulling, she will stop if it hurts. I think most children go through this and it is just a matter of getting through this stage with you sanity intact.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 7:53 AM on Jul. 7, 2011