Breastfeeding mom of 6 months, how much breastmilk are you still feeding at 6 months?

Im breastfeeding for 6 months now, i was hoping to make it to a year, but i have stopped making hardly any milk at all, and it doesnt even seem worth it anymore! I pump 3 times a day and make only enough for about a 5-6 ounce bottle for her. I nurse her when im home but i dont think its even enough for her to be satisfied anymore. She eats prolly about 2 cerel feedings and 2 fruit or veggies meals. How much actual breastmilk are you still feeding your baby after they started eating baby food most the time?

stepmom2B29

Asked by stepmom2B29 at 11:39 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm in the same boat as you, DD is 6mo, and I work full time and pump, only nursing early morning, at night, and weekends. Also remember you will never get as much from a pump as your baby does when she nurses. And we just introduced solids about a month ago. We have to supplement b/c I can only pump enough for 2 six ounce bottles, then she gets 2 six oz bottles of formula per day, and its always been that way since the beginning. She is offered veggies and fruits after each bottle feeding and nursing session mixed with brest milk or formula; sometimes she'll eat the whole serving, sometimes she'll only eat 2 bites. We pretty much let her run things.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:43 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• PUmping is not an accurate reflection of how much milk you are making. Continue to nurse, as much as you possibly can. Your body will make enough! :)

Also, as a child gets older, they become more efficient and they also nurse less. I don't really know about milk for a 6 month old, but a toddler nurses very little and the nutrients are concentrated in the milk. My guess is your milk is just more concentrated for your daughters needs.

I can't relate that much. My last one was nursing exclusively at 6 months - wasn't eating solids until about 9 months. :) But I do know that my pumping attempts changed with my children and even at different ages. I haven't pumped in a long time though (other then to donate).
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 11:56 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• drink mother's milk tea that will increase your milk supply, I pump 3 times a day and stopped bfding long time ago ever since he got teeth. His drinks 6oz every 3 hours and very little solid maybe 2 jars per day. I never decrease his milk even start solid. Oh my son is 7 months
    Amy2079

Answer by Amy2079 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• At six months, baby's diet should be mostly breastmilk and very little to zero solids. Most of time moms in your situation have unknowingly been giving too many solids and thereby killing their supply. Solids only FOLLOW nursing. If baby gets a teaspoon, that's fine. No such thing as to little in solids.

Baby's breastmilk need is 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour. That's a FOREVER amount. A six ounce bottle is nearly a full working day's need. Four ounce bottles, tops. No, baby WILL NOT starve. A six ounce bottle is like you or me drinking a 64 ounce Big Gulp. We CAN but that doesn't mean we SHOULD, and over time it accustoms us to overeating.

My daily pump output by six months was only slightly more than yours.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2011