Is my husband overreacting?

My husband just found out that his two daughters by his first wife who are 7 and 10 are being asked to call their stepdad (Daddy) by both his ex wife and their stepdad. I don't see what the big deal is, should he be this upset? He says that since he has joint custody and is a huge part of their lives he has earned that title and him alone. Is that absurd?

stephyw78

Asked by stephyw78 at 11:53 AM on Jul. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• I don't think he is over reacting.........
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 11:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My daughters 6 & 4 years live with me.. They see their dad & his gf one day a week. I picked them up that day & they said "Bye Mommy"..to his gf! My heart dropped!! Thank goodness it was just a one time thing.. It hurts & no I don't think he is overreacting.!
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 11:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I tend to agree with him.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 11:54 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would be hurt I guess.. and Daddy for 7 and 10 kinda creeps me out lol~! I would never TELL my child they need to call a step parent Mom or Dad, I call my Step dad DAD but only because my real dad is a piece of shit and my Step dad is amazing.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I dont think he is over reacting. There is only one mom and one dad.

Answer by gemgem at 11:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• sorry i dont think he is overreacting .....if he is in their life and has earned the tiltle then he is the only one they should be calling daddy......look at the flip side do they call you MOMMY?.......
    cara124

Answer by cara124 at 11:55 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think asking a child to do it is the wrong part,, I think if it is something that they choose to do that is one thing. I think your hubby needs to talk to his ex, and ask her not to push this issue,, my nephew's stepdad has always been Daddyjohn,,,but he was in his life from age 2, I think they are putting your step kids in a bad situation.. What do they call you?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I don't think he is overreacting at all..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 11:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• They have only one daddy and that is him. That is really terrible and confusing to the kids.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 11:59 AM on Jul. 6, 2011

• If they are being forced to do this then he is not over reacting.....

Answer by older at 12:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2011