Remember when Obama said U.S. forces would leave by the end of 2011....

It appears the White House is now offering to leave behind a force 10,000 strong.....

Given June 2011 was the deadliest month for U.S. troops in Iraq since 2008~

~~~~ What do you think? 

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• He is a liar!!!!!! I'm glad I did not vote for him!!!!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 12:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I knew there was no way we would be completely out by the time frame he gave, along with almost every other military member. It's not just as simple as he was making it out to be.
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think Obama will be predictable and do whatever is most politically advantageous when the deadline comes.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:34 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• All he cares about is winning re-election, this pulling the troops is a political ploy to make some people happy. He cares nothing about the troops safety or about the missions involved, he is a tried and true politician that cares nothing about anyone else, just his own interests. Pulling them is a bad idea and going to leave the troops left behind in a desperate fight to stay alive rather than accomplishing anything.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think Bush started a bloody effin mess that has turned into a vietnam scenario.And the same peeps bitchin' about his lies are typically the same peeps bitchin when he says he's pullin out troops.
    CHarlan

Answer by CHarlan at 12:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• "We have said for a long time now if the Iraqi government asks us to maintain some level of troops beyond that end of the year deadline, we would consider it," Carney told reporters in Washington.

He appeared to back off that possibility, however, adding: "That doesn't necessarily mean we would do it. We would just consider it. And I really don't have any more information on that possible outcome because, again, we haven't even gotten a request."

They are keeping both doors open so they can decide what is most politically advantageous when the time comes.
    QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I just love that the majority of the people in the US believed him. That's what scares me the most.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Oh, grly...don;t you know by now that Obama doesn't HAVE to specify actual number or details for his supporters to tout his success in promising to do what he said he would do, don't you?! LOL He's STILL all FAIL!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• From that article: Navy Vice Adm. William McRaven, nominated to command U.S. special operations forces, said a small commando force should remain.

Granted, 10,000 is not a small commando force. But it wasn't that long ago that people here were complaining about the President NOT taking the advice of military commanders (just before his Afghanistan drawdown announcement, as I recall). So which way do we go?

I think we need to get out of the morass of the Middle East entirely. But I don't think that's going to happen under ANY President in my lifetime.

And I've never fully believed any politician in my lifetime.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Obama gonna bring the troops home..thats all we heard.So much for that!
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 3:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2011