To those who care about their OBC

Where I remain confused is the seperation between the OBC and the fact that your birth certificate is a legal document that must contain information for identifcation.

I don't have my ODL (original drivers license), my OSS (original social security card) or my OML (original marriage license) As long as I have the information that is contained in those documents, I can use what I have for ID, why does not having that little piece of paper make it a civil rights issue. What civil right is lacking?

If you tell me it is sentimental, I can appreciate that. (I love the photo of a 16 yr old me in that drivers license picture). But sentimentality is not civil rights.

I support open records to the information but just don't get the legal need for a reissued legal document. Is the battle for the information or the OBC?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Adoption

• Frogdawg: the issue with Obama was that he was accused of being an alien when he was not. Your child was adopted, Obama was not. If the pundits are going to try to disparage a candidate, they would not believe the adoption records or the birth cert. either. I find it odd that birth certs look the way that they do but am waiting to hear a solution that works. I don't think Adoptees want "dup #1" on their birth certificates similar to drivers licenses,or a hole punched through it to cancel?

I also have to say that may God Bless my child to the extent that the biggest problem he has in life as a minority in this country is an extra piece of paperwork during his campaign for president of the US.
    Anonymous

• I can obtain a copy of my original marriage cirtificate anytime as long as I pay the city court house it is filed in. I can get a valid copy of my social security card should I lose mine if I need to. I can get a copy of my original birth cirtificate in the city I was born in with a written request and some money for the copy. My child can not do the same. He may not legally obtain his OBC or his original social security card. He may not have in his hands his personal history. For example, how is he to know his original given name. We did not keep his middle or last name. While we can tell him - it is not the same as having an official document with written proof his birth mother gave him his complete name at birth. That makes it damn special. It may be important to know if she listed a father on the cirtificate or not. Damn special and important. He deserves his truth. I love him so much I want him to have it.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Can you walk into the courthouse and get a copy of your original birth certificate? Yes.

Then why shouldn't every citizen of the United States of America have the exact same right?

Is it because you are an adoptive parent and don't want your children to have a piece of paper showing their original parents names on it? Will this take away from the false idea you have that you are the only mother and your child's adoptive father is the only father your child has?

Because you have this factual, not falsified piece of information, you know the exact place and time of your birth, you know your exact weight and length at birth. Adoptees do not have this, because that info is often falsified along with the parents names.

It makes me so angry that somebody who is not even an adoptee and has no idea nor care of what that life is like has the gall to say they are not entitled or shouldn't even desire to have their OBC.
    susie703

Answer by susie703 at 2:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Susie, but what about when you have that information. The OP said "as long as you have the information" specifically.

Curious: what state has a birth cert that states exact date and time,exact place of birth, exact weight and length? If all that info is on there, now that makes sense to want it so bad.
    2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 2:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I have my original and ammended bcert. If I can find a scanner I'll post them to compare.
    adopteeme

Answer by adopteeme at 10:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Wow sorry to hear you lost all those important documents. It would be a pain to replace them. In fact you would need your OBC to do so. Anywhooooo... these answers will probably help you with your question.

http://www.cafemom.com/answers/899995/Adoptees_how_do_you_feel_about_your_original_birth_certificate

ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Most people don't have a valid ODL; it's reissued every couple of years. If you are married, you don't have a valid ODL or OSS because it is reissued with your married name. Your OML is reissued if you remarry.

Government documents get reissued with new information and it looks like the "original".

2ndtimewish

Answer by 2ndtimewish at 2:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I know I'm not your target audience but I have to answer this question. You don't understand the difference between knowing the information on their birth certificate to being banned by law from having it. You may as well say "Rosa, there's a perfectly good seat on the back of the bus, why do you want to sit on the front?". If you can't see the difference you don't understand civil rights and you're never going to.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 1:31 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• First, there is no need for the nastiness from the Bmoms. It is a question that obviously a lot of people don't understand based on the number of questions on the topic.

2ndtime got my point: government documents are reissued all of the time. You can't get a copy of your drivers license from 10 years ago, the legal document has your current photo and your current name. Same with a marriage license if you re-married, same with SS card if you changed your name. Only having one LEGAL document is not unique to birth certificates.

A birth certificate with "adopted" stamped on it IS like seperate but equal on it and an amendment giving the valid legal official parents is like telling an adoptee to ride on the back of the bus. Having the OBC is very special and sentimental for sure. But is that civil rights

I would also know what states have exact location, weight, height, etc on the OBC? Does that vary by state?

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:00 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Let me restate the question: if adoptees can get a copy of the OBC but it has a hole punched through it so others know it is not a legal document and is invalid (similar to what they do to drivers licenses in my state). Does that solve the problem?
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:05 AM on Jul. 7, 2011