Did you Know? Two U.S. nuclear-powered submarines were sent to patrol 150 miles north of Prudhoe Bay, Alaska.

The US navy move comes as Russia is said to have increased missile testing in the region and Norway has moved its main military base to the far north.

Meanwhile China has started to woo countries such as Greenland, which are rich in rare earth minerals needed for mobile phones and other hi-tech equipment.

The competing commercial interests in the Arctic are complicated by the lack of a comprehensive agreement on who owns what. Many countries are in the process of submitting competing land claims to the UN as part of its Law of the Sea Convention – a treaty as yet unsigned by the US.

Canada and others were also disturbed when Artur Chilingarov, a veteran Russian polar explorer, placed a flag on the Arctic seabed in 2007. He told reporters his mission was to show the Arctic was Russian, adding: "We must prove the north pole is an extension of the Russian landmass."

Canada took exception to the Russian move, seeing it as provocative, but Moscow dismissed the furore, insisting it was a theatrical gesture by a scientist hired by private companies to make the descent. But it is telling that the following year Chilingarov – also a member of the state parliament – was awarded a new title, Hero of the Russian Federation.

Concerns about a new cold war – if not just a cold rush – have led academics such as Rob Huebert, a professor of political science at the University of Calgary, to warn in a recent paper prepared for the Canadian Defence and Foreign Affairs Institute that "an arms race may be beginning".

~~~~~

Does anyone else find this fascinating?  

grlygrlz2

Asked by grlygrlz2 at 12:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I do find this fascinating, and I will be doing some research on this....I believe DH will be interested as well. Thanks for the info!
    AF4life

Answer by AF4life at 12:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I do.

Canada took exception to the Russian move, seeing it as provocative, but Moscow dismissed the furore, insisting it was a theatrical gesture by a scientist hired by private companies to make the descent.

I wonder what Canada is willing to do about it?

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 12:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• This should take precedence over a murder case.

pookiekins34

Answer by pookiekins34 at 1:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I wonder what Canada is willing to do about it?

***
    Would be interested to see what JANET thinks about it--assuming she's keeping up with CANADIAN politics and not only American!! LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 1:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

Very good question.
    Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 1:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Fascinating? no, its disturbing. We seem to be regressing back to the 1950's.
    minnesotanice

Answer by minnesotanice at 1:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I'm more worried about what Obama will do about it. Will he stand up to Putin or will he back down?

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 2:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• This would not likely be occurring if we had a president that Russia knew they could not walk all over. Russia is slowly reverting back to communism.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 3:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Well President No Balls won't do anything except sit on his hands like he is doing with Iran.

I think it is very interesting. This is one of the last frontiers on earth and the stakes are high.
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Well, if they have the $$$, someone might just make a trade, under the table, of course, you know, the "it must be done, so we can see the benefits" philosophy? jmo~~~
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 11:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2011