Protestants and Catholics come together on Bible ....

... the audio Bible that is. It's interesting to note that protestants separated from Catholic church over (among other things) the ability to translate the Bible into a nation's mother language. Yet today, we now have the Catholic church working together with a Protestant non-profit that has translated the Bible into 565 languages reaching more than 5 billion people in more than 185 countries.

__________________________________________________________________________________

So far more than 50 different parishes have signed up to listen through the entire New Testament, which represents more than 160,000 Catholics.

Fast Facts

• 60% – Americans don’t know Jesus delivered the Sermon on the Mount.
  • 40% – Teens that think that Jesus may have committed sins.
  • 3% – Thirteen-year-olds with a biblical worldview

“The Archdiocese of Galveston-Houston has planned an extensive Bible engagement effort for 2009 called Word of God in the Life and Mission of the Church. Faith Comes By Hearing’s 40-day Bible listening is a big component of their outreach,” said Jackson.

“I believe Cardinal DiNardo’s support of this Bible listening program is an invigorating demonstration of his leadership to Pope Benedict’s declaration of 2009 as The Year of God’s Word,” said Jackson. “His active encouragement of this program is giving many Catholics new opportunities to study the sacred Scriptures, deepen their faith and increase their knowledge of God’s Word.”

Read the full article here

_______________________________________________________________________________

For Christians - Catholics and Protestants alike - what are your thoughts on the these two sects of Christianity mending those bridges that were burned so long ago?

-Eilish-

Asked by -Eilish- at 12:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think its a positive step and that all Christians should unite and push for the common goal of getting the word out rather than fighting amongst themselves about doctrine/translation and other dividing factors that push people away from the Christian belief. Fighting amongst believers only furthers the non-believers thoughts about hypocrisy in Christianity.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 12:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• It's a joy when people work together. I know I felt it was strange when we picked up food at the Catholic church for our (Protestant) food pantry, but then I realised what could be more right?

I guess I understand having separate denominations, but I love when we work together, too. We have more in common than separates us.... especially between different Christian denominations, but even between different religions.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 2:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think it's a great achievement. I've always thought that most Christian churches were legit. We Catholics, pray that there will be a wholeness to The Church someday.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• ? I think the religions are pretty similar in the first place ?
    >>>
    Similar in some ways, very different in others. Transubstantiation being the biggest and most problematic
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 4:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Initial or final? LOL
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think it's pretty cool.
    :)
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 5:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Jesus wants us to learn of Him.remember we are the church not a building.im a Christian and i dont get caught up in religion at all.
    tinamarie1972

Answer by tinamarie1972 at 5:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I love my religion. I love my doctrine, I love defending my religion. It keeps me sharp and on my toes.
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 11:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Wait, wait .... are you an Irish Catholic ... maybe we could "duke it out" in the pub.

>>> Nah, I'm French Canadian and Swedish. I could slap you around with a fish, like the Swedish chef does

adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:18 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

alphamom26

Answer by alphamom26 at 12:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011