Single Mom and cant afford to send my 4yr old to school.

I am a single mom and not by choice. I work hard and barely make ends meet. My daughter was in preschool last year and I received a voucher to help pay for the school. This year I lost the voucher because I did not have provide notice of job change in a timely manner. Well this year she is going to k1 and I can not afford it. It is going to be about $ 600 per month. I can not afford that. I already have rent to pay, groceries, tons and tons of student loans, car note and utilities.. Its just to much for me. Public schools here in the city are horrible and no seats. No seats in charter school . I went to the school the other day for payment plan and all they can not do a thing for me. Its a private school and they do not offer financial aid if you have a balance or if you are below grade 1 . So I am paying $600 tuition and after taxes my take home pay is $1000 every 2 weeks and my rent is $1000 so basically only have $1000 per month and $600 tution would be killing me where I have other responsiblities. I cant quit my job but how am I going to make ends meet and send my daughter to school. Please any ideas suggestions.. I am in boston ma

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:15 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Well.. I would say get on food stamps..

& send her to a public school. You obviously aren't going to be able to make it by sending her to a private.
    SuperrMommyy

Answer by SuperrMommyy at 1:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Send her to public or move somewhere that has good public schools are your only options it sounds like.
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 1:19 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Awe Im sorry. Maybe she will have to go to public school for a year until you can renew the voucher? When you say there are no seats, does that mean she cannot go to public school?
    Gingerwheel

Answer by Gingerwheel at 1:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You have to have income to survive so it seems that you have to either send her to public school or home school her. It's cheaper but there are still cost with homeschooling. As her young age, I would suggest public school as long as she is doing well and try to put her in a private school when you are more financially stable, maybe in her middle or high school years. That's just a suggestions.
    gwamaterri

Answer by gwamaterri at 1:20 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Send her to public school.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Or find someone else to watch her. Maybe an at home daycare?
    Candi1024

• Sorry to hear about it - doesn't sound like you actually have a lot of options. Maybe you could wait and send her to kindergarten when she is five. Sucks that you missed that deadline.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Not ideal, but you may want to look into moving to a good public school district. This way you won't have to worry about school payments/scholarships, etc. each year. Have you looked at Christian and/or Catholic schools? They tend to be a bit less expensive for K than some of the other private school options.

Good luck.
    askmommy

Answer by askmommy at 1:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• supermommy. I do not qualify for food stamps and public schools have NO SEATS so I can not send her to public school. private school is the same price and sometimes cheaper than daycare here.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Sorry, by what you wrote you have no options.
    ochsamom

Answer by ochsamom at 1:30 PM on Jul. 6, 2011