What am I going to do if my kid,8 yrs is starting to feel male sansations already?

i ask my boy why he usually touches his penis. he said, it feels good. he is having wet dreams already. what shall i do and what shall i tell him?

dlovelymomma

Asked by dlovelymomma at 1:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd explain to him that touching himself is something he should be doing in private. There's not much you can do about the wet dreams.
    dmdblleb

Answer by dmdblleb at 1:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• This is totally normal, and the fact that you said "already" tells me you have just as much to learn about what is normal behavior as this stage in his development as he does. Get the book "It's So Amazing" for him, as it will help both of you learn about appropriate ways to discuss these things.
    Ataemommy

Answer by Ataemommy at 2:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Thank u so much. ur suggestions would help more. im just scared that my reactions and responses would be bad. my hubby is always out of the country for work and he is always not there to assist me. ideally i should be assisting him only but it turn out i am doing it alone.

i also dont want to send wrong signals that would make him feel shame, wronged etc...
    dlovelymomma

Comment by dlovelymomma (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Very normal :)
    sugamama3

Answer by sugamama3 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• ooh, am I glad you posted. Just yesterday I had a talk w/my son b/c he pointed out his standing penis to his cuz. and he told me he was wierded out b/c it "tickles" "feels funny" and stands up for NO REASON!!! (his emphasis) LOL

Kinda concerned if it was a sign of puberty (he's only 7)
    Glad to know I'm not the only.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 9:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• mamiJaAyla, likewise... my son did too and make fun of his penis especially in the mornin. d first time he experienced it stands, he was shocked, shouted "mami!!!!" and scared that his thing just stood up.
    dlovelymomma

Comment by dlovelymomma (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• This is called "precocious puberty". The average age for boys to go through this is 12, with 9 being the youngest. If your son is younger than 9, then it is "precocious". There is nothign you can do about it, but do read, as the earlier posters mentioned, so you can present your son with information in a calm, loving manner.
    Children ARE developing sexually much younger than ever before. This may be due to the genetic modification of our food supply. If you read about the dangers of GMOs, you will be horrified. Children who are raised on raw, organic foods seldom mature physically before ages 15-17. Children who eat a diet higher in GMOs develop sexually around age 8. Also scary, male sterility is up 200% from fifty years ago.
    LoreleiSieja

Answer by LoreleiSieja at 10:17 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I have 4 boys. This is normal. However it was really hard for me when my youngest started going thru this. MY baby is growing up!
    I_luv_Vera

Answer by I_luv_Vera at 11:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• This might be a good time to open those doors WIDE open and let him ask any questions, and talk to him about the changes that go through boys and girls as they become adults. You might also want to discuss boundaries, what you feel is inappropriate behavior, and if he feels the need for private time, set up a signal so he can just leave what he's doing and come back when he is ready. You might also consider giving him a contingency plan for if he does have wet dreams, he knows how to handle it practically (take off your sheets and put them in the washer, etc). It might feel good, but it's just as scary for him as it is for you!
    terirose22

Answer by terirose22 at 2:21 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• wow i feel better now. thanks to all of u. the other day my son went to the doc an i tried to ask the doc was him mesing with it normal. he procceed to tell me it was an to just let him be. but make sure that he has certain spots in the house that he can do that. i was a little akward telling my son where he could go. bf is no help so im doing this on my own here. but the worst thing ever was when he was a little young, he was in the bath. i went in to check on him. he stood up in the bathtub an told me MOMMY LOOK AT THIS> he decided to show me that he has hair growing down there. im still new to this whole boy man thing. but im glad that u asked that question, cuz now i know im not the only one having to deal with this issue alone. thank you bunches....
    kdbrantley82

Answer by kdbrantley82 at 12:24 AM on Jul. 8, 2011