Stocking up on groceries...

Okay so I got approved for foodstamps last month and was given back pay form when we applied to amount to over 1,000. I went to the meat market and bought a over a months worth of meat. We spent it on crap/expensive things we had not had in a while like caprisun, soda, triskets and fresh fish. WE even went to the farmers market and bought cheeses and hand made pasta... I also have stocked up on things like I got 10 cans of chef, 6 boxes of kraft, a huge thing of rice, 2 jars of pasta sauce, 2 things of cream cheese, a freezer full of frozen veggies, lots of fresh fruit and veggies, and 10 bags of gold fish crackers! Now we have our next months stamps and we are back over 1000! What would you stock up on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I wouldn't buy anymore fresh food and if you have a storage freezer, I would say buy meat if it is on sale. I would also buy non parishable food like canned or stuff that you always eat like cereal. You can also freeze loaves of bread too. You're so lucky. I have one child and am a single mom and I only got approved for $16.00 on food stamps.
    Bugzmomma

Answer by Bugzmomma at 1:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Just wait!! Where I live it just adds up in the account. If you wanna use it though buy some food for your local food bank!!
    Anonymous

• Well, I would be more than happy to share! I really would... This even seems silly to me. I mean damn. I was thinking 350 a month would amazing. 600 seems over the top for a family of 4.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I cant share or donate in reality if I got caught it would be fraud.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I'd stock up on canned goods. Get a dozen of everything. Buy healthy foods too, fruit etc. Buy more organic foods too.
    texasgurl33

Answer by texasgurl33 at 2:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• It's 600 a month but because of back pay it added up. our first deposit was a month and a half and we did not spend it all before the next 600 deposit.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:06 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I use to get $900 a month for my family of 3...not sure how that happened but i didnt complain...i asked once if they could take the food money and transfer it to my TANF (cash) so i could do things like pay rent and utilities but they couldn't...as for stocking up...i agree with most people...go for can food if y'all eat it. If you have a spare freezer than totally use it for meats and other frozens. Here in AL it rolls over to next month but also stays on the card even if you are no longer eligible to receive more.
    LadyOsgood

Answer by LadyOsgood at 2:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i'd say buy meat and things you wouldnt normally be able to afford. invite company over for a change and make a large dinner for your friends and family
    julie.f

Answer by julie.f at 2:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• wow, sounds like you are being overpaid with the food stamps....even 600 seems a bit much, if its a clerical error you may have to pay it back..in full!
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• It's not I checked...Cost of living is high here so I assume that is it but I am very well acquainted with using coupons, shopping sales and eating cheap. Hard habit to break. Before the FS I was feeding us at 40-50 a week. granted it was the same like 5 meals over and over...we were fed.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 2:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2011