My 8 yr old still sucks his fingers..

He doesn't suck his thumb he sucks his middle and ring finger..all the time and he also has to have a tag in his hand.. He has been doing this since he was 5 months old so "I did not take him off the bottle too early as my in-laws have said"....I do not know how to get him to stop he gets sick easily because of this I try to distract him but it's almost like if he is not using his hand to do something their in his mouth....He does not do it at school but as soon as he hops in the car there he goes I try to catch him first to at least put hand sanitizer but he beats me to it....I need help... My 4 yr old also sucks his thumb...please any advice??????

Lilrugrats

Asked by Lilrugrats at 1:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I guess I wouldn't be that bothered by it, maybe make sure he washes his hands more often but I sucked my thumb until my early teens and just stopped on my own,. It was just my comfort object and I still have to have my pillow with the one side sewed so I can put my finger in there lol!~
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I sucked my thumb until I was about 7 when I flipped over my handle bars nad knocked my adult teeth loose. the dentist told me if I continued to suck they might fall out and I would have to have surgery or the would not heal well and I would need surgery. Boy did that stop me! I don't recommend that tactic though! He will stop when he is ready just encourage good hygiene.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 2:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I hope he does just stop but its frustrating.............
    Lilrugrats

Comment by Lilrugrats (original poster) at 2:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My kids have never done that but try dipping his fingers in vinegar!?
    justme782

Answer by justme782 at 2:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• It's a comfort measure for him.

My youngest went thru a traumatic event when he was 4. As a result he started sucking on his shirt. Either the sleeve or the front of his shirt.

Whenever I noticed he was doing it, I would try to figure out what was going on at that exact moment, that he needed to sooth himself with this behavior.

He was also painfully shy as a toddler and would only stay with me or his older brother. and sometimes my mom.

Now he is one of the most popular kids in our town! Everyone wants to hang out with him. Even older kids gravitate to him!
    I_luv_Vera

Answer by I_luv_Vera at 11:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2011