How do I find out...

if I qualify for food stamps? I was looking online @ the CA requirements, but it doesn't really say a set thing. It just says you could qualify based on income, social security, if you are on TANF, ect. How do I find out before I apply if we will even qualify? I don't want to apply if I am just going to be turned down. We are on WIC but right now it's just not enough. DH is active duty AF, but only an E4 and I am an E3 in the Air Guard (only work 1 weekend a month) I also have a part time job, but hours are so scarce I only work once or twice a month @ the civilian job. We have a 9 month old baby and I am pregnant again. Yesterday I had to buy meat with dollar bills and dimes, just so we could have something with protein until the next pay check comes!

AF4life

Asked by AF4life at 1:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• Have you tried this eligibility tool?- http://www.snap-step1.usda.gov/fns/

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• If you are military you only qualify for WIC.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 1:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You have to talk to a social worker. Also they have forms that should say the income limits.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 1:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Buy dried beans and lentils, rather than meat. Much healthier, and way less expensive. Send me a message if you need cheap and healthy meal ideas.

Answer by rkoloms at 2:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• What I meant is that I had to count out dollars amounts in dimes and pennies because that is the only money we have. Thanks for the link JeremysMom, it helped, but if what zoejainsmomma said is true than it doesn't matter how much money we make we still won't be eligible.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 2:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:08 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• We are a military family (hubby is reg. army) and there are many military people that do qualify and get food stamps.
    I would just call your local office and ask.
    My_3_Babies

Answer by My_3_Babies at 2:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Yes, I just checked we can still qualify for food stamps, we just don't qualify for the military program.
    AF4life

Comment by AF4life (original poster) at 2:55 PM on Jul. 6, 2011