Theory vs Practice (edited to include soundtrack)

Theory: Someone who claims a faith in which kindness, courtesy, and being a good steward of your faith are virtues, while gossiping or provoking people maliciously for nothing but one's own idle entertainment are vices, professes that while not everyone is perfect, it is up for them to ask forgiveness for their transgressions, and in order to receive that forgiveness, they must then alter their behavior to reflect their contrition. They may also (depending on the faith) claim that acts of penitence or good will must be performed to counteract the bad vibes they've put out into the world. Going forth to sin no more, or remembering that what they put out will come back threefold, or whichever other variation on the theme applies.

Practice: People who profess those same beliefs make a habit of trolling (here or elsewhere, but here makes the most sense for the purpose of this example). Whether they post anonymously, or behind a username that is not directly connected to their actual physical being, the targets of their malice do not know who they are. However, the god(s) to which they pledge themselves DO know who they are, and see everything they do, including the adrenaline charge they get from trolling. Some directly admit to the trolling, even admitting they like it, or are proud of it. Others publicly deny it, but still indirectly reveal themselves.

There seems to be a disconnect here. Is it people lying to their deity when they ask forgiveness (since they continue to indulge in the behavior over and over again) or lying to themselves and everyone else around them by claiming a faith they stubbornly refuse to practice?

For some reason, this has been stuck in my head since someone started replying.  Perhaps it's a "sign" that she needs to listen to it?

NotPanicking

Asked by NotPanicking at 1:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Religious Debate

• THey are lying to themselves....and therefore lying to all others including their "gods". Which explains their usual (the anons/trolls) tone of anger and bitterness.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 1:58 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Hypocrits come in all flavors - the fact that some are also religious shouldn't come as a shock.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 2:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• If they do as they please and claim that its okay because they can ask for forgiveness than they do not understand what repentance is. To repent is to turn away from, and not look back its a change of actions and course of path. If someone is on here claiming one said faith and the acts by a completely different standard in my mind though I would not doubt their salvation i would have to question their personal relationship with their God. If you are living for the God you serve, reading and studying the word you claim to live by then your life should not be the same as it was before. You should be growing, changing and being transformed by the renewing of your mind. IMO
    MommaB30

Answer by MommaB30 at 2:32 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Wonderful post, NP! I'd have to say they are doing both: lying to God (or their god--whichever the case may be) and lying to themselves.

P.S. Love your answer, MommaB!
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 4:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Apparently you've already judged it, since you've decided asking a question is "bad".
    >>
    Well, of course I judged it. It was a question and I read it. And you still didn't answer the question. By what are we to measure your bad behavior?
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 5:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Clearly they are constantly asking for forgiveness and repenting for not being good stewards of their faith. I would imagine it gets tiring to be constantly asking for forgiveness, but alas the trolling must be too much "fun" to give it up. Perhaps they are a glutton for punishment.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 2:05 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• As usual- not following where this came from ;)

But in general- are you saying that people profess one thing and do another- see it all the time from all walks of life-
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 5:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You mean you can connect a troll to a belief? Wow. Waste of time.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 6:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• http://www.gotquestions.org/taming-the-tongue.html

I just read this great article today about how difficult it is to tame the tongue. Maybe this will shed a little light on the subject. I know it was just what I needed to read today. I know it takes daily prayer for me so that I can refrain from anything hurtful coming out of my mouth. It is a concious effort. There is also a proverb that I try to live by and I will share that with you.

Proverbs 15:1 A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.
    maggiebgood

Answer by maggiebgood at 8:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Think that's a new record on troll deletion by CM admins, wow.
    NotPanicking

Comment by NotPanicking (original poster) at 3:57 PM on Jul. 6, 2011