Aspergers syndrom....sorry for spelling

well my DD was tested for autisum when she was 3 now she is 4 and they said she was autistic but where she stand there not sure yet...at her 4yr check up me and her doctor were talking and she thinks she has aspergers how can i know for sure? they are sending her for gentic testing but how can i know for 100% fact that she DOES have it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's really more a behavioral thing. Kids with Aspergers have more trouble socializing. They don't read body language at all. They can become experts to the point of obsession with certain subjects and then talk your ears off about that subject even when you try to change it. They don't adapt to change well at all, and have trouble controlling their anger.

That's a very basic definition. You might look up the Parenting Aspergers blog; it's very helpful.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:02 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I'm a parent of a 12 year old girl with aspergers.....my daughter saw a childrens neurologist who did a cat scan with contrast,which required sedation......a genetics test and a sleep study...these test basically told us that she was developing normally..its really hard to get the initial dx......it takes someone who recognizes the symptoms of autism...aspies are usually verbal but they have problems with reciprocal language, they parrot,mimic alot.....behavioral problems,aggressive behavior can be a problem for some...my daughter is not aggressive at all, she is learning to control her anger....they do not all have anger problems either....the do have core muscle weakness,which makes task like writing challenging,the seem uncoordinated because of the muscle weakness too, they sometimes have trouble with sports ...my daughter started karate last year,she is a yellow belt almost ready to test for orange belt..
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• its taken her longer to progress in her karate class. They also lack social skills, and they dont understand personal space at all.
    my daughter was dx around 5 1/2....with proper therapys your child can prosper in the schools.....I would suggest ABA but they stop that therapy after age 3.....behavior therapy helps alot along with OT,speech,and possibly PT....get a good IEP in place when you start school.
    Feel free to message me, hubby and I run our local Autism Support group In Panama city, Florida.
    michaux

Answer by michaux at 2:43 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I believe that Aspergers is currently considered part of the austism spectrum, and not a separate diagnosis. Also, there's no "test" that can prove conclusively that you have it or not. Diagnosis is made based on observations. My son was diagnosed with autism at age 3 also, and now at age 4-1/2 has more issues with social interactions than any of the other sterotypical autism behaviors.
    Telephus44

Answer by Telephus44 at 4:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

That's a very basic definition. You might look up the Parenting Aspergers blog; it's very helpful
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 7:58 AM on Jul. 11, 2011