How early can you go into labor & your baby will survive?

Draghi1101

Asked by Draghi1101 at 2:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've heard about a 19 week old living
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 2:37 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• ohkay i am 23 weeks now. i was just wondering
    Draghi1101

Comment by Draghi1101 (original poster) at 2:39 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Depends on how good a Nicu your hospital has or they might fly the baby to a better one but ususally about 25 weeks
    lil_momma_vdv

Answer by lil_momma_vdv at 2:40 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• That is a hard question to answer.. Some babies die at 30-40 weeks, some born after 20 weeks make it.. But the medical profession feel a fetus born after 20 weeks is viable with medical help.. That does not mean it will make it but it could and many do..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• It depends on many factors - including WHY preterm labor happened. I want to say the earliest recorded in 19-20 weeks. I believe that prior to 22 weeks some doctors/hospitals will not take "life saving measures" for the baby. Every week baby stays in, their chances are higher.
    mrsfitz05

Answer by mrsfitz05 at 2:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• You really want to reach 30 weeks, but there are cases of survival before that.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 2:48 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I hope i dont have a preterm labor!
    Draghi1101

Comment by Draghi1101 (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I want to say the earliest recorded in 19-20 weeks. I believe that prior to 22 weeks some doctors/hospitals will not take "life saving measures" for the baby.

If a baby is born breathing/alive, they HAVE to take "life saving measures" at least to stablize the baby until a decision is made.

matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 2:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• There is no real answer to that question. All babies develop differently in the womb. Some mature faster than others, and some develop slower.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:54 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• It depends on the development of the baby and also on your hospital. My sister started having contractions at 19 weeks and was put on bed rest. She is now 23 weeks. Our hospital in town will deliver and care for 30+ week babies, but a hospital in a city about 30 minutes away will deliver and care for 24+ week babies. They have a better NICU than us. But as I understand it, once you get to about 25 weeks, the odds are about 8-9 out of 10 chance of survival.
    amy_rebecca

Answer by amy_rebecca at 3:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2011