How can I get my 7-year-old to behave in school??

According to his teacher, my 7-year-old boy is doing very well academically. However, his behavior needs improvement. they have a "Green/Yellow/Red system in the classroom (red being a note sent home). Since September, he's gotten red about 6 times. Doesn't seem like a lot - however, it is for screaming in the halls, spitting, sometimes hitting (flailing his arms), not paying attention in class (he sat on his head during story time today). We've tried praising when he gets "green" each day; we've tried punishing for yellow or red behavior (no TV, no friends over, no playing with favorite toy). At home - he's mostly well-behaved and follows directions, helps set the table, picks up toys, etc. He does continue to have periodic potty accidents after school/weekends when he's playing since he doesn't want to stop playing to use the bathroom (only once did it happen at school) but I don't know if this is related.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:28 PM on Dec. 16, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• when he gets red or yellow ask the teacher to take his special and give him a work duty. let him be punished by her in that setting so he will begin to respect her authority. make sure he knows you are telling her she has more power to punish than before, this usually works with my students. work duty could be helping sweep, picking up the floor, dumping out pencil sharpener, nothing dangerous but something unfun, at teh same time giving him a feeling of ownership of the classroom. also a great book is David goes to school (by david shannon)
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 9:06 PM on Dec. 16, 2008

• If this is his first time in a school setting, it may require a lot of practice and patience. Maybe expecting the same things at home as the teacher does. Take him to the mall and have him show you how to walk in the hallway. Have him set up his toys and read them a story. Model what you want him to do and practice, practice, practice.
    afdavis27

Answer by afdavis27 at 11:05 PM on Dec. 16, 2008