Does your toddler act different when he or she is with the opposite parent?

My son is 2, and when he is with my husband..and I am not there..he is an angel. BUT, when I come home, he is the total opposite. He screams, crys..and carries on. I am not sure what is going on. I give him lots of attention, and sit down with him to play..but he acts out a lot! Do any of you have this problem, or had this problem? What did you do that works...or should I just wait this "stage" out.

LoveMyKids0203

Asked by LoveMyKids0203 at 3:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• they immediately know who will let them by with something and who won't accept it... chances are dad wouldn't like it and you shrug it off, so he does it to you... kwim.

and yes, mine have ALL done it- even as teens they know who to ask what questions. lol
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 3:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My son acts different with us. He is a hot mess when he is with me but not too much with his dad.
    1sexymother

Answer by 1sexymother at 3:21 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Yes, they act different with each member of the family too.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 3:59 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• it's a faze, my son does it off and on, but I felt better the other day because he wasn't such an angel with him so I know that he's just expressing in my opinion who he can fool
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:38 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My daughter is 4 and she has done this since around the age of 2. With me she isnt so bad, she listens mostly and loves to help me clean and all that. With her dad she is a terror. He cant do anything because she wont let him and she always throws fits. But I think thats because she knows he wont deal with it and eventually give in to her and do what she wants. Where as with me she knows that the only way she'll get what she wants is by doing what I want or what I ask her to do first. I believe its just a phase that all kids go through. Kinda like asking one parent but they say no so they go and ask the other and they say yes.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 5:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2011