How old is too old to have a baby now days?

use to 30's was later in life, what is the "new" later in life for having kids?

2teens2LOs

Asked by 2teens2LOs at 3:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• Post-menopause. **grin** Whenever that happens. Even 20 years ago I was interviewing doctors who didn't consider 40 to be a big deal.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:28 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Probably over 40 is too old.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 3:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I'm not sure, We are 33 and 39 with a 3 year old and I feel we don't have the choice to have one anymore due to the risks but I don't know..
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 3:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think 30-35 is still considered 'waiting' After 35 you are considered high risk -most women want to be done before reaching that point.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 3:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Menopause for sure. Mid 40s would be pushing it.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 3:29 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I had my twins at 45. A friend of mine conceived without medical help when she was 47.  I think older than 45 is pushing it, but it depends on your over-all health.

JSD24

Answer by JSD24 at 3:33 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I'd say 30-35. You have to think about the life your bringing into this world, the health risks that go along with pregnancies at that age, and how the child will grow up with an older person for a parent. My df is 21 and his dad is 63 and in bad health. My df has to constantly stop providing for our family of 3 kids so he can go do things for his dad. I know that he should be helping him but it hurts our kids in the process
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I had my last child at 40.

Answer by older at 3:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Well most of these answers are very discouraging to me
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 3:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Whenever you're ready! The health risks do get up over 40

Many people consider it selfish to have kids after about 30-35, because you are too old, there are risks that come into play (although they are under 1% risks for genetic issues up till about age 38), and you will be older when your kids are graduating/having kids/etc

Many people consider it selfish to have kids before about 30-35, because you can be too young and immature, and sometimes not financially sound, with backup money to get you past job losses etc.

I personally feel that every situation is different. When you should have kids is when you are mature and financially-secure enough, and still healthy enough, and with someone you are secure and in love with. But there is no perfect time or age, oftentimes God knows better than we do.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 3:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2011