4 yr old Ignores me

I can spank, I can send to her room, I can use time out...nothing is working.
She will say "ok" though she is getting the hang of "yes mam" but still continues to play. I have asked her to pick up toys, then stood over her to do it, sent her to her room after picking them up, threatened and actually thrown things in the trash....I need help. She is teaching her 2 yr old sister to do the same.

LadyOsgood

Asked by LadyOsgood at 3:35 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• When dd doesn't listen to me or dh we do the same thing. Grab dd by the chin and make her look at us (doesn't take muscle at all either) then say what we expect and ask her what we've just said. When she repeats it we letgo and normally she listens. If not she stands in the corner for 4 minutes or until she is done whining and by then she is ore than ready to do as asked.
    07lilmama1108

Answer by 07lilmama1108 at 4:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I continue time outs. If she gets out of time out and still ignores, then she goes back in. We spent the better part of one day in time out and she finally realized that in the battle of wills, that mom would win.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 3:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I am having the SAME issues with my 3 year old and now she is starting to scream, NO! I DONT HAVE TO! I DONT WANT TO! I continue to discipline her and it does NOTHING!!! I am a sahm so I get no break and I feel like some days I am at my breaking point and I don't want to fail and let her win but I need something also so if you find something please share it!!!
    Abbysmommy0208

Answer by Abbysmommy0208 at 3:52 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Have you tried positive reinforcement rather than punishment?

Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 4:10 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Syphon we have tried it all...even went to a child psychologist for a few months. Abbysmommy I am a SAHM as well and also a 24/7 caregiver to my 80 yr old mother in law that lives with us. I know the breaking point! I just dont know what to try anymore! She does perfect at church and at other peoples homes just not our home!
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 4:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Take emotions out of the picture!!! :-) Its very hard (oh i know. i have short fuse & temper)
    Always talk in a normal voice & let her know what she needs to do. If she refuses. Timeout -- NO TALKING ABOUT IT... Dont argue with a child... Let her repeat time outs until she gets it done... She will learn you mean business.. Staying calm can make a kid think ur crazy lol.. and they better listen. Being calm means ur in control. Yelling is out of control..

Have you ever tried a reward chart for behavior? That may work as well.
    Try reading 1-2-3 Magic (Discipline for kids 2-12) ... It has alot of amazing things that may help out! :)
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 4:27 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• rewards dont work lol been there done that one and i learned the calm technique from her therapist. i honestly dont have time to sit and make her stay in timeout all day if thats what it takes...not with the other members of the house still needing a lot of attention...But we do what we have to do right!
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 4:31 PM on Jul. 6, 2011