What age do you give your children chores/chore lists?

and what kind of chores do you put on there?

prettynpink343

Asked by prettynpink343 at 3:36 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in General Parenting

• we started simple things at age 4. picking up, clean sliding glass window/door, feeding the dog, help w/trash etc...
    mkdirector2011

Answer by mkdirector2011 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would say they can start doing chores around 4 or 5. Start off simple like feeding a pet or emptying out small trash cans.
    ChicaThis

Answer by ChicaThis at 3:50 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Since my daughter has reached 2, she has been helping me with picking up some of her toys, putting her shoes to the place, organizing shampoos in the shower and etc. Maybe because I'm cleanness freak, myself, she helps me, when she wants.
    LadyGI

Answer by LadyGI at 5:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• i started at 2. Having them help pick up toys (started this earlier but they knew it was expected by 2), helping fold laundry (they would do wash cloths), and bringing their dishes to the sink after meals
    mommy4boy2girl

Answer by mommy4boy2girl at 7:56 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I feel like they've always had little chores to do but when they turned 12 I started them in earnest. They each had to clean their own room and a bathroom, one cleans the living room & the office, while the other cleans the dining room and the media room. I clean the kitchen, the master bedroom, the laundry room and I vacuum, DH cleans the master bathroom and cleans the hardwood floors. He also mows the lawn. I paid the twins $10/ week until they were 16 and started to do their own laundry now they get $20/wk.
    onethentwins

Answer by onethentwins at 10:00 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• My daughter started chores at about 2. Just simple things like help pick up her toys, put her trash in the trash, dishes in the sink. Now she is 4 and she has to clean her room, put her dirty clothes in the laundry, put her dirty dishes in the sink or dish washer (she loves to help put dishes in the dish washer and put away the silver wear) and we just started having her put her own clothes away after I fold them. She also has to clean up whatever mess she makes whether it be arts and crafts or side walk chalk and she helps put the pool toys away.
    SMG1120

Answer by SMG1120 at 11:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2011