Prayers

We have been teaching our 2 yr old and 4 yr old different prayers. They have mastered "Now I lay me down to sleep..." at bedtime, and we are are gaining on the memorization of "God is great, God is good..." before dinner (soon moving onto breakfast then lunch until we say it 3 times a day and a small "Bless this food" at snack time) I would love a prayer for them to say when they get up in the morning. Any ideas? We can come up with one but I wanted to see what others may use first.

LadyOsgood

Asked by LadyOsgood at 3:41 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• Bless us this day for the journey we are about to embark upon, lead us where you will have us go, in Jesus name we pray amen... ?

We don't use any, but this sounds like something I would say in the morning awaking.
    2teens2LOs

Answer by 2teens2LOs at 4:16 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• I'm wiccan but my kids and I have one that we say at their christain grandparents house. (not mine got it from someone else)

Lord of night, welcome me as I sleep
    Guide me in the darkness and protect me as I dream.

3rdtymsthecharm

Answer by 3rdtymsthecharm at 3:44 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• We've taught our kids what sorts of things to pray for rather than memorizing prayer (although we are teaching them the Lord's Prayer), so that they learn that prayer is a conversation with God. My son is 5 - he's prayed amongst a group of adults in a prayer circle for Mexico, and leads prayer in his Children's Church class. He's been praised for his eloquence. I'd say teach them what prayer is and why we have it. And then help them be creative in their own prayers to God.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 12:28 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Eilish - we do personal prayers which i should have added...my 4 yr old "god blesses' everyone and knows what it means, she can often be found sitting on the potty talking to God lol but it's one of the few places she isn't followed by her sister. i was wanting something to say together as a family as well. We have 2 set times for personal prayer...whenever we get up in the morning and before going to bed at night. of course i encourage them to pray at different times during the day and how to pray for each other.

3rdtymsthecharm - I like that one but we have a night time one, so i am really just needing one for when we get up...something to praise the Lord that we are awake another day...

i can just dome up with one but i like to memorize too
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 10:24 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• It's helpful in my family, but thank you for your suggestion
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 10:47 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• thanks 2teens2LOs thats kinda what i am looking for...i just keep drawing blanks the last few days but then again i have been a little brain fried since my MIL returned from the hospital and has been recovering from a triple bypass...
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 8:00 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• How about teaching them to just talk to God in their own way. That is a far better teaching and they can handle it even at this age.
    quinnmommy

Answer by quinnmommy at 8:13 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• Having been raised with memorized prayer, I just really don't see where it it helpful. But to each their own. Good luck.
    -Eilish-

Answer by -Eilish- at 10:41 AM on Jul. 7, 2011