Prayers as a couple

We have always done the prayers at night with our kids, but recently started a night time ritual of praying together. It's a generic prayer, though once we are both more comfortable I am sure we will add and subtract where we feel necessary.

Our current prayer was part of a really fun marriage class at church.
"Lord God, thank you for the gift of Your plan for our marriage. Help us to achieve the oneness You long for us to possess. We commit to love each other not only morally from a sense of duty, but also emotionally with out time because we like each other, and physically because You want us to enjoy each others bodies. Amen."

Do you pray with your husband or SO and if so, what do you pray?

I found this one not long ago, after discovering my husband was having an emotional affair (phone calls and text messages) This was from "The Praying Wife" if I'm not mistaken.

"Lord, I pray for an end to this conflict and a breaking of the hold strife has on us. Take away the hurt and the armor we've put on to protect ourselves. Lift us out of the pit of unforgiveness. Speak through us so that we reflect Your love, peace, and reconciliation. Tear down the wall between us and teach us how to walk through it. Enable us to rise up from paralysis and move into healing and wholeness You have for us. Amen."

LadyOsgood

Asked by LadyOsgood at 3:49 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Relationships

• That is so sweet.
    We just start going into church & growing in faith together.. Dh doesnt feel comfortable enough even to say prayer at dinner time yet.
    Before going to bed he will say "dont forget to pray" but that is it.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, it's great for couples to share in worship like that together...I'm sure you and your hisband feel closer from this.

We just do prayers from our hearts, nothing fancy or memorized.
    Dkhilly

Answer by Dkhilly at 3:51 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I think that addressing the infidelity should be the priority though prayer might help you to get over past pain.
    hellokittykat

Answer by hellokittykat at 3:53 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• HelloKittyKat we have been through the affair aftermath. We are working on trust...and though we have moments of irritation. We have both made lifestyle changes and been more aware of what is going on around us. DKhilly I think we will get to a point where we can be so open with each other and the the Lord...we are both somewhat private independent people but by saying the prayer out loud it is breaking us of our shyness.
    LadyOsgood

Comment by LadyOsgood (original poster) at 4:26 PM on Jul. 6, 2011