When do you think your teen should drive?

I have a 17-year old daughter and have encouraged her to join a driver's ed! She just seems to not have the interest yet! I'd like her to learn independence more - should I make her start driving or just let her tell me when she's ready?

isismoon3

Asked by isismoon3 at 4:09 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Teens (13-17)

Level 66 (1,274,222 Credits)
  • I wouldn't let my son get his license unless he kept his grades up in school. I told him that if he wasn't responsible enough to do well in school he wasn't responsible enough to be behind the wheel. However, that changed when he turned 17 because I wanted him to go to drivers ed and I wanted him to be required to have his temp for 6 months before he got his license and I wanted him to have to do the 40 hours of driving before getting his license. Once he turned 18 he could just go in and get his license without all those requirements. I would at least put her in drivers ed now.

slick05

Answer by slick05 at 11:31 PM on Jul. 7, 2011

• For me 18. Let your daughter do it when when SHE wants not when you want. If she complains she needs to get around and expects you to do it tell her to take the bus.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 4:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• when they are ready. I wouldn't force it. Be encouraging, but you don't want her to feel negative about the experience.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 4:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Get her into drivers ED, if she passes and decides she doesn't want to drive leave it until she is ready.. at least you get a break on your insurance
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 4:11 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I say get her out there. Is it fear that is holding her back? Because waiting won't make the fear go away. Is it just lack of desire? Maybe she needs a reason to want to drive, like to make money to buy clothes or go on a trip.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 4:13 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• She would probably feel more comfortable with you teaching her. I know I was. I preferred my mom over my dad because my dad made me nervous. He was too uptight and jumped down my throat "in case" I made a mistake. I was 16 when I got my license but there were many restrictions which I agreed with until age 18.
    DJsMommy610

Answer by DJsMommy610 at 4:23 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I'd have her take driver's ed, but if she's not ready to get her license after that - then don't push.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 4:46 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I had a few friends who waited until they were older than 18 to get their license. As long as she is comfortable with the not driving, I think it's fine. I have a feeling that my 13 yr old will be similar to your DD, my 11 yr old will be at the DMV the first chance she gets.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 11:01 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• The earliest mine could drive was the summer in between the 10th and 11th grade and they had to have a job and they had to maintain the job, their GPA over a 3.0 and had to pay for their own gas and car insurance. They had to have their license for 6 mos. (which was almost the middle of their 11th grade year) before they could get their own car. Two started driving that summer at 16 1/2 and almost 18 and 2 waited until they were 19.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 2:20 AM on Jul. 7, 2011

• When she is ready. If you push her, she could panic while driving and cause an accident. Let HER decide when she is ready. If she doesn't have a DL there is NO increase on your insurance. No increase in the cost of gas and upkeep on the car. No worrying about her driving and having friends in the car with her.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 AM on Jul. 7, 2011