What can I do with a diploma in...

Interior Decorating & Merchandising?

I haven't gone to school for this yet, but am seriously considering it. Could I get a career in staging with this?

AdensMama0308

Asked by AdensMama0308 at 4:14 PM on Jul. 6, 2011 in Money & Work

• Interior decorating *could* work towards staging; it is a lot more related than, say, accounting.

But more than the degree you'll need experience and the drive to promote yourself and seek out opportunities. Are there staging service providers in your area? Could you intern with them while in school? That experience will likely be more beneficial in a job search, but the degree seeking is what might get you the internship.
    KateDinVA

Answer by KateDinVA at 4:45 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• I would check out the job prospects first, I don't know with this economny many people are paying for staging of a house
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 4:16 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Interior design is a high paying position. But it is the driven person that can really be successful in that field.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• It's interior decorating, which is different than design. I'm sure it could open up doors to design later, but for now I'm just going for decorating.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 4:24 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:22 PM on Jul. 6, 2011

• The good thing about the school I'd go to is that they place you in an internship-type thing (it's not called that, I forget what it is called) for half of your last semester. And then more often than not, the place you are put in hires you... and if they don't, the school helps you find something. That's the main reason I want to go there.
    AdensMama0308

Comment by AdensMama0308 (original poster) at 9:40 AM on Jul. 7, 2011